A report on the First Nations University of Canada states that the school should adopt policies that encourage transparency and become more financially accountable.

“It is pertinent that the university’s new board of governors be cleared of any perceived conflict of interest” reads the 208-page report issued last week by consultants Manely Begay and Associates, adding that the school must “establish policies and procedures ensuring full financial and governance transparency.”

In early February, FNUC lost both federal and provincial funding. Its board was dissolved. The report states that without the recommended changes, the university will not get the governmental grants it requires and will have to sell its Saskatoon campus and other assets.

Recommendations include not paying board members, clearly establishing rules for faculty, staff, and other board members involved with the school, and establishing internal definitions for fraud, malfeasance, and misappropriation.

The report also emphasizes the need for an impartial board that does not include First Nations chiefs and those with a potential conflict of interest, such as students, civil servants, or officials from other universities. It proposes that the 11 voting members of the board be made up of four elders, six technical experts, and one member outside Saskatchewan. Of the elders, there must be two men and two women representing each indigenous group found in Saskatchewan.

FNUC has been accused of financial mismanagement for some time. A Dec. 9 ruling charged former VP academics Wes Stevenson for fraud over $5,000. Former CFO Murray Westerlund issued a report in November 2009 alleging hundreds of thousands of dollars were misspent. Westerlund left the position in December and has since filed a wrongful dismissal suit.

For the time being, FNUC will be run by the University of Regina at the instruction of the provincial government of Saskatchewan. An interim board has been established as a working group discusses the future of the university.

Leaders of the Federation of the Saskatchewan Indian Nations plan to meet and discuss the report on March 8 in Saskatoon. According to federation leaders, chiefs will be asked to ratify the report so that they will be able to receive $2 million from Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, which has been withheld.

“Once the chiefs ratify the report a new level of stability will be achieved,” said Chief Guy Lonechild in a news release.