Baseball

(9-9, fourth in OUA standings) Grade: B-

It’s hard to give a poor grade to a team that made it to the OUA playoffs for the first time since 2006. They achieved it by overcoming a terrible 3-7 start to tie Brock in the standings with a .500 record. But because Toronto won the head-to-head match-ups against Brock, the Blues earned the play-off berth, while Brock missed the playoffs for the first time in their program’s history. Too bad Toronto would end up with the same number of wins in the playoffs as in their previous seasons as they were swept by the eventual OUA champion Western Mustangs. Still, the first step is about getting there and they managed that…by the skin of their teeth!

Men’s Hockey

(15-9-4, third in OUA East) Grade: C

As any university student can tell you, you can’t expect a good grade by doing well on quizzes and then bombing the exam! If there was ever a time to go cold, the OUA quarter-finals was the worst possible time for the Blues. They were embarrassed by a sub-par Ryerson Rams team, losing 6-0 and 3-1 as they were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs this season. Given the calibre of the players on this Blues team, the way this season ended was inexplicable.

Women’s Hockey

(14-11-2, fifth in OUA standings)
Grade: C+

It’s an average grade for an average season that had flashes of brilliance, but also moments that are best left forgotten. Consistency remains an issue, though they did end the season on a high note, defeating the eventual OUA silver medalist Guelph Gryphons 4-1 in their final regular season game before losing 1-0 to them in the tightly contested single-elimination quarterfinals.

Football

(1-8, eighth in the OUA standings)
Grade: C+

Why a C+ for 1-8 record? Well, you have to put it in context. This is their second-best record in the last eight years. Though it has to be disappointing after last season’s progress, there are some positives about the team this season. For one, they had the fewest turnovers in all of OUA, which means they are holding onto the ball, but just have to work on doing something with it. We should be excited for next season: the Blues have recently signed a star quarterback, a couple all-star wide receivers, and several solid defenders.

Women’s Lacrosse

(12-0, first in OUA standings) Grade: A

With a perfect 12-0 season, the team is deserving of a perfect grade. They went undefeated in the regular season, led the league in scoring, and took home four of five major awards. The only blip is their loss to defending champions the Laurier Golden Hawks in the OUA semi-final, but they still claimed the bronze medal.

Women’s Soccer

(11-1-4, second in OUA East) Grade: B

Despite a solid regular season, their performances continue to be marred by their post-season results. A team with a lot of talent and expectations to go deep, instead, for the second year in a row they lost their quarterfinal game 1-0, this time to Ottawa. Despite underperforming at the OUA stage, the Blues did manage to exact some redemption at the CIS Championships finishing fifth overall, a sign that maybe next year, they will live up to their potential.

Men’s Soccer

(11-1-2, first in OUA East) Grade: A

It’s a good grade for a good team that earned it. Going into the playoffs, they were the top-ranked team in the CIS and were riding an 11-game undefeated streak. With a dominating offense and a stingy back end, it was easy to get excited about the team. Unfortunately, their championship aspirations fell just short, losing the OUA gold medal game 1-0 on penalty kicks, and then the CIS bronze medal match in Langley, B.C. 2-1, again on penalty kicks. The fact that it took penalty kicks to overcome these Blues this season should indicate the strength of this team.

Men’s Swimming

(First in OUA standings) Grade: A+

Everyone knows one student who maintains a perfect 4.0 GPA, wins all the awards and scholarships, and still has time for extracurriculars. Well, the men’s swimming team is pretty much the athletic equivalent of that student, and it’s difficult to get any better than them. With Colin Russell—the OUA and CIS Player of the Year—at their helm, the team captured their seventh-straight OUA title, and finished second at the CIS Championships. If second-year swimmer Zack Chetrat continues to perform like he did this year—winning three CIS gold medals, earning gold at an international meet in Switzerland, and breaking a meet record at the 2009 Canada Cup—the team is bound to maintain their perfect record.