Rotman is helping women to re-enter the workforce with its new back to work program, a component of the Rotman Initiative for Women in Business. The program is open to women with past management experience who are resuming their careers after extended absences.

“The women’s initiative program was started about three years ago, when we received requests from the corporate environment in Toronto saying that we have various professional groups of women who really struggle in advancing their careers,” said Professor Beatrix Dart, Associate Dean and Executive Director of the Rotman Initiative for Women in Business.

“We decided we needed a program to make these women more visible and allow employers access to these talented individuals.”

The nine-class program begins October 18 and continues over a three-month period. Classes are divided into three modules that provide basic knowledge and qualifications to successfully resume employment in business.

“Back to Work will help prepare women for the personal and professional transition they experience when returning to the workforce,” said Dart. “It gives them an unparalleled opportunity to reignite their goals and to get up-to-speed on the latest trends and issues in business, while meeting like-minded women, potential employers, and future professional contacts.”

A 2005 Harvard Business Review report found that 37 percent of highly qualified women voluntarily leave their careers for some period of time. The reason for the absence is most often family responsibilities, including childcare, and eldercare.

“Once you are on a personal leave, the years build-up and when you want to return to the workforce you are not sure where to start because things change so rapidly. It can be a daunting experience.” said Dart. “What this program does is help you in the transition from the mundane activities of daily life back to dealing with the politics of the corporate world. To regain your confidence.”

Rotman faculty members and instructors, as well as senior executive guest speakers, will help participants refresh their business knowledge on topics including leadership, strategy, and business and marketing tools. They will also share current job market information and address the latest technology and communication trends in business today.

“The women will not only learn in classes but also be given the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through projects they will be working on for various companies.” said Dart. “This will give them the chance to explore their equation with the participating companies while also allowing the employers to test their abilities.”

TD, KPMG LLP, Microsoft Canada, Rogers, and Xerox are all supporting the program. They will not be given exams, or graded, rather they will work on projects for potential employers. Classes will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to allow for personal and family commitments and mothers will receive complimentary childcare located close to Rotman. Four scholarships are also available to cover the $1950 cost of participation.

“We want to be as accommodating as possible to help these women balance their personal and professional responsibilities,” said Dart.

Christine Smeeton, a chartered accountant and former project manager at BMO Nesbitt Burns, discovered the program through an e-mail newsletter.

“I think this program is an amazing opportunity for women who have chosen to stay home with children and are ready to return to work in the financial industry,” said Smeeton. “So many things have changed in the work environment and this program will pull everything together: networking with other business professionals, updating a resume and getting caught up on new technologies,” says the mother of three.

With only 30 spaces available, acceptance into the program has been quite competitive.

“We received more than threefold the number of applications we can accept,” said Dart. “What we looked for most was the level of motivation and determination the women demonstrated when we interviewed all of the applicants. We came across very impressive resumes, few of whom are already being coveted by our affiliated companies.

“We’ve been receiving requests from all over the country to expand the project to other cities. That is something we are definitely considering seeing how successful our pilot project here at Rotman will be.”