After facing the possibility of bankruptcy as a result of financial problems, the Toronto Women’s Bookstore has undergone renovations and has officially re-opened its doors to the public.

The space has been made more open amd has a cosier atmosphere, now including a café, lounge area, and backyard patio. New owner Victoria Moreno said there are also plans to provide Internet and other services. “I’d like to use the space for different things; I’m open in that sense.”

While business was slow in August, Moreno hopes that it will pick up in September. “I am really, really excited to have taken on this project having made the Toronto Women’s Bookstore survive. But I will still need all of your support,” Moreno told a gathering at the TWB.

The bookstore has historically been involved in the local community, especially the women’s community. Moreno hopes to keep this legacy alive by continuing to host events such as book launches, author readings, and fundraisers; with the possibility of having art exhibits or “a night of arts and culture” in the near future. The bookstore already has a fundraiser fashion show slated on September 24 in support of the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre and the Multi-cultural Women Against Rape.

“We support the community and sell tickets for events,” said Morino. “We will continue to do that.”

The renovations to the store also involved a review of its financial woes, which have included many liabilities and outstanding accounts. When Morino acquired the bookstore in the spring she saw the importance of keeping this institution alive out of“love of the bookstore and its importance to women and the community.”

During the TWB’s difficulties last year they acquired an unfavourable relationship with some U of T professors who had ordered books but had difficulty receiving them on time, if at all.

Professor Bergen from the history department recalls having difficulties when ordering books for her Holocaust class last year.

“I had a very difficult situation last year with the Toronto Women’s Bookstore and my book orders for my classes on the Holocaust,” said Professor Doris Bergen of the history department.

Moreno is hoping to get the support of professors once again and is surprised by the unanticipated support they have been offering this year despite past occurrences and hopes this will continue into the New Year. Professor Bergen is dedicated to continuing to support the store.

“In principle it doesn’t seem right to hold the new management responsible for the problems in the past — and I remain supportive of everything the TWB stands for.”

Moreno became owner of the TWB after first approaching the store to help with their financial issues. “I was worried about the bookstore. I approached them when they had their fundraising event earlier this year… I never thought I’d be taking it over. I just thought maybe I could help with some consulting, see if there was a way I could volunteer my time.”

The TWB supplies to a variety of departments including History, Anthropology, and Aboriginal Studies.

More information on the TWB can be found here.

With files from Zakia Chowdhury