Ontario wants the world’s best and brightest to not just study here, but also take up residence upon completion of their education.

On Sept. 14, the province announced it is expanding Opportunities Ontario, a provincial nominee program that allows students to apply for permanent residency upon completion of their degree, even without having secured a job.

“These changes will help Ontario attract the best and brightest international students and help us compete in the new, knowledge-based economy,” said Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Eric Hoskins. “Our newcomers bring with them talent, expertise, and wisdom. Helping them put their skills to work is an economic imperative for a more prosperous and open Ontario.”

Opportunities Ontario is part of the Open Ontario Plan that includes goals to increase the number of foreign students by 50 per cent.

“To thrive in a global economy, we need to attract top minds from around the world — and the Provincial Nominee Program will help make Ontario the destination of choice for international students,” said Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities John Milloy. “These students are a vital asset and we want to help them put their outstanding knowledge, skills and experience to work in Ontario.”

These developments require no additional provincial funding. Other provinces also compete for international students. British Columbia provides graduate grants to foreign students. The developments are expected to make Ontario more competitive in the international market.

“Ontario will be much more attractive to international graduate students in part because…graduate students tend to choose programs in a region where they will subsequently seek employment whether it be not-for-profit, government, or an industry,” explained Heather Kelly, Director of Student Services, School of Graduate Studies.

“This program will positively affect the university in our recruitment and retention efforts in attracting those international students who wish to see a pathway for education and employment opportunities in the province of Ontario,” she added.

Greg West, the graduate science student Governor and Graduate Students’ Union former Vice President Internal agreed that this was a positive development. “Keeping more highly qualified personnel in Ontario will lead to a positive economic impact on the province through increased innovation in research and development. I think this is a big win, both for international graduate students and prospective employers in Ontario.”

International student Adolreza Karami, an engineering doctorate student, also sees the benefit of this program. “This is a beneficial move forward to facilitate the process in becoming an immigrant for educated people from around the world,” he said.

The original version of this article stated Greg West’s position at the GSU and Mr. Karami’s gender incorrectly. The Varsity regrets the error.