The Council of the Faculty of Arts and Science met last Monday afternoon and discussed faculty dean Meric Gertler’s academic plan.

Most seats were filled in the council chamber at Simcoe Hall. Aside from 10 minutes of procedural duties, the two-hour meeting focused on the plan.

Part-time undergraduate representative Andrew Agnew-Iler moved to have the discussion on the plan tabled off the agenda, citing confusion over the plan and wanting to avoid “giving life” to unconfirmed details. The motion was defeated by roughly two-thirds of the votes.

Fellow part-time undergraduate representative and UTSU VP of Campus Life Corey Scott asked if the council’s decision on the plan could be tabled, Gertler clarified there would be no vote taken, only a discussion.

Gertler apologized for publishing his planning document in the summer, explaining that forming it took longer than expected. He then showed a briefing slideshow presented at last month’s town halls followed by questions from the council.

Gertler said he was open to alternative solutions but reluctant to restart the planning process, which began a year ago.

The bulk of comments and questions surrounded financial disclosure. Many complained about the lack of precise numbers on each department’s financial situation and estimates on the restructuring’s savings.

Gertler mentioned that his faculty’s budget committee will be reconvening in the coming weeks and that he will propose they “update the overall financial analysis of the proposals” with “a more complete analysis of the financial consequences or implications” of the plan.

ASSU president Gavin Nowlan said departments’ financial information was given to the Strategic Planning Committee during its faculty review.

“The information’s there, the question is why it’s not on the governance website,” he said. Gertler replied that the reports contain confidential information including salaries.

Although nothing concrete was promised, Gertler said he was committed to being “as open and transparent on the financials as we possibly can.”

The second main issue discussed was the lack of communication from the dean’s office. Gertler has suggested changes to the plans during the Town Halls, but no memoranda about the plan have since been published. Responding to criticisms, he pledged to issue more communications “to regain people’s trust.”

During the meeting the chair denied a few non-members’ requests to speak.

Sanda Munjic, assistant professor in the Spanish and Portuguese department, voiced her dismay at cuts to smaller programs.

“Some of the best universities in the world are the best because they offer the most exquisite and merited programs, not because they offer the biggest classrooms,” said, prompting a large applause from the chamber.

The Varsity live-blogged the event from its Twitter account. Minutes will be available after being approved at the next council meeting, scheduled November 1.