It was a sunny, blue-skied morning as people gathered around Soldier’s Tower for the annual Remembrance Day service on Thursday, Nov. 11. Located on the western end of Hart House, the ceremony began at 10 a.m. with a Carillon Prelude and the chime sounds emanated from Soldier’s Tower as children, students, alumni, veterans, and people passing by began to form a crowd.

The subtle melodic Carillon tune came to an end with the wailing sounds of the bagpipes. The man carrying the instrument lead a group of soldiers, young cadets, a reverend, a rabbi, a guru, and wreath carriers out of the tower. The bagpipes came to an end, and Malcolm McGrath, Chair of the Soldiers’ Tower Committee, walked to the podium and welcomed everyone for coming. “This tower was made to honour our fallen comrades […] We will remember the wars and never forget.”

Soldier’s Tower was originally built between the years of 1923–1924 to commemorate the 628 soldiers who died in World War I, but also stood to commemorate the 557 fallen soldiers of World War II.

Rev. Canon W. Ebert Hobbs, then took to the stage and introduced the bands and other speakers. “One of the many reasons we are here today is that we remember,” he said. “We remember the soldiers that volunteered to stand between us and forces of destruction.” He then pointed to a wall of stone engravings attached to the tower, and said: “Over one thousand University of Toronto students, alumni, and staff are engraved on this tower. We remember them because we are a people of hope. Let us sing the Naval Hymn.” A small, five person band began to play. The trumpeters, along with the trombone and tuba players, played the melody, and the crowd sung along.

Following the hymn, was a short poem read by Rev. Mr. Michael L. Knox. The poem was called “High Flight,” written by Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee, who was killed December 11, 1941. After Knox quietly walked off stage, a choir began to sing “In Flander’s Fields.” The crowd subtly sung and hummed along.

University of Toronto Scarborough student Barbara Forbes then went on stage, telling a brief story of Major Fred Tilston (1906-1992) a soldier from WWII, and his accomplishments. Forbes told the crowd that within the middle of a fire fight, Tilston ran back and forth between a battle and an army camp six times to get more ammunition and grenades for his soldiers. Finally, when Tilston got shot, he refused to get medical attention until he explained the battle plan to his soldiers. Major Fred Tilston was awarded the Victoria Cross for his achievement in battle.

Rabbi Aaron Katchen then took the stage, and read a Hebrew poem to the crowd. Following the rabbi, was Guru Fatha Singh Khalsa, who offered a simple prayer: “Love to all, peace to all, life to all.” The guru then translated the prayer in French, German, Russian, Mandarin, and Persian.

The band then began to play the melody for the hymn, “O God, our help in ages past.” The crowd subsequently sang along. By this point in the ceremony, the crowd had doubled in size from when the ceremony had initially begun.

After the hymn, the ceremony proceeded to the laying of the wreaths. There was a wreath for the University, the University of Toronto Alumni Association, the University of Toronto Faculty Association, the Students, the Old Comrades, the U of T Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps, the Royal Regiment of Canada, the Toronto Scottish Regiment, the Families, the Colleges, the Children, and finally, for the Faculties, Staff, Campus Organizations, Fraternities, and Sororities. The wreaths were placed in front of the stone engravings of the names of the fallen soldiers who were affiliated with U of T. Rev. Ebert Hobbs then provided a prayer of remembrance. “Let us pray,” he said. “[God] we ask you to bless these wreaths.”

With the words “Amen,” the reverend finished his speech, and shortly after the sound of the conclusive “Last Post” trumpet song began. Trumpeter Brindley Venables played as all the soldiers at the ceremony raised their hands to their heads in salute.

Upon the trumpets’ final note, a moment of silence ensued. Nobody in the crowd spoke, and though the birds chirped and the bagpipes played, the effect of the silence was never lost. Finally, the silence came to an end with the shrill notes played by Pipe Major John Wakefield. The ceremony came to a close with the choir singing the “Reveille,” “We Will Remember Them,” “God Save the Queen,” and finally, “O Canada.”

The crowd began to slowly disperse, many going to take a closer look at the wreaths, and others going to the reception at the Great Hall, where coffee and pastries were served.