B&G Partager Rouge

$9.95 at the LCBO

Valentine’s Day is easily the most important wine holiday of the year (if you haven’t purchased your wine when your reading this, get out now!). When you’re choosing a wine, aim for something that you don’t regularly drink — this rules out the big brands of the Niagara Peninsula and California. You want a wine that is charming and personal — just like your relationship.

The B & G Partager Rouge is a great red wine from France that is a perfect Valentine’s accompaniment. Full-bodied with oaky tones and rich berries, this wine says “I love you” better than any singing telegram, bouquet of roses, or box of chocolates. (That being said, pairing this wine with a box of chocolates is not a half bad idea).

You’ll also appreciate the cork placed in the top of this bottle: both the global cork shortage and drives to economize cause wineries to move to twist tops. Corks will be something you tell your grandchildren about as they stare at you in disbelief and shuttle you off to the home.

Opening a corked bottle doesn’t need to be complicated. It all starts with a proper corkscrew, one that folds down and looks like a pocket knife. Place the screw in the centre of the cork, press down, and twist the bottle several times. Once the screw has taken hold stop turning the bottle and start turning the corkscrew. Avoid the more complicated corkscrews that look like they belong in a fetish video instead of a kitchen. Just be patient and enjoy the experience.

This wine is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Pair with a large dinner and cozy blankets.