Karthiha Guruparan was only a few weeks from graduating from UTSC when a speeding van ended her life on March 24.

A fourth year management student, Kartha, as family and friends know her, was determined to become an accountant like her father but strived even harder to bring her family together.

“Family was always first in her life, she was always the one who brings us closer,” said Sherrin Arul, Guruparan’s younger cousin and a fellow U of T student.

A long-time friend, Madison*, recalls how much Guruparan has affected her life.

“Kartha […] encouraged everyone to do their best in school, and often checked up on me to see how my assignments and midterms were going,” Madison said, recalling how Guruparan was like a “mother” to her and her friends.

“She was a person that we all looked up to, and as such, it was a huge shock when we heard what happened,” added Madison.

Guruparan was on her way home from studying late at UTSC and was crossing at the intersection of Sheppard Avenue and Murison Boulevard, east of Neilson Road, when she was struck by a speeding Dodge Caravan. She was immediately rushed to Sunnybrook where she died.

The 33-year-old male driver remained at the scene but no charges have been laid as the police are still investigating who had the right of way and whether Guruparan walked on a red light.

But Arul believed that Guruparan would have only crossed the road if it was on a green light.

“Kartha was honestly the most cautious person I know and personally, from what I know about the situation, I really don’t believe that she crossed the red light,” said Arul.

Despite her sudden death, Guruparan’s memories live on in the minds of her family and friends.

Hajithaa Manoharan met Guruparan in a UTSC accounting class in 2008 and the two had been good friends ever since.

“Kartha helped me get through the toughest times in school, and she was my inspiration to do my best. […] My memories of her will last forever,” said Manoharan.

When asked about what they will remember most about Guruparan, Arul and Manoharan agreed that it is her smile and her ability to light up a room.

While Madison said that she will never forget Guruparan’s thoughtfulness.

“Even if she was a guest at a party, she would help serve food and clean up after everyone had left. She was thoughtful like that, and had an amazing heart.”

UTSC presented Guruparan with a posthumous degree last Saturday and is planning a special memorial in her honour.

*Update (April 19, 2015, 11:21 am): Name has been omitted upon student’s request.