Former Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff has accepted a teaching position at the University of Toronto and a senior residency at the university’s Massey College.

Ignatieff resigned as party head on May 3 after his party lost Official Opposition status to the NDP. He also lost his own seat in the House of Commons, and quickly accepted a residency and teaching spot offered by U of T.

Ignatieff will be teaching in various areas, including the Faculty of Law, the Munk School of Global Affairs, the School of Public Policy and Governance, and the Department of Political Science.

Ignatieff completed his undergraduate degree in history at Trinity College in 1969. The internationally respected academic and author previously taught at Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge universities.

“Dr. Ignatieff accepted a visiting professorship at the University of Toronto in 2005 when he decided to return home, but was immediately drawn into a by-election and entered political life,” said President David Naylor.

“Once he decided to step down as leader, Dr. Ignatieff made it clear that he intended to stay in Canada and return to university teaching. The University of Toronto was the logical spot for many reasons.

“The city is home for Michael and [his wife] Zsuzsanna, and the institution is extremely strong academically in Michael’s main fields of interest. He studied here as an undergraduate. And there are many family ties to the university, not least through his father, also an alumnus and renowned diplomat who later served as provost of Trinity College and chancellor of the university,” said Naylor.

“The idea came [to offer a spot at U of T] when it was clear that Michael Ignatieff had also lost his seat in Parliament, so all of the participants were aware of the possibilities,” said John Fraser, master of Massey College.

“It was a note of inquiry from President Naylor to me […] that started the ball rolling. His note came on the morning of after the election and if he hadn’t had an e-mail all ready in my mailbox, I would have written him,” said Fraser, noting Massey College’s long tradition of welcoming high-profile politicians and journalists facing transitions.

“I was first off the bat with Pierre Trudeau and Preston Manning. President Robert Prichard was first with Bob Rae back a few years ago,” said Fraser.

“We have also welcomed editors-in-chief like Kenneth Whyte [National Post], Peter Herrendorf [Toronto Life] and Edward Greenspon [The Globe and Mail] after their hasty departures. Indeed, I myself was offered the chance to come here shortly before my head was about to be severed by Conrad Black when I was editor at Saturday Night,” added Fraser.

In an email to The Varsity, Ignatieff expressed enthusiasm in returning to his alma mater.

“I’m looking forward to being in the classroom teaching undergraduates and graduates next fall and spring semesters,” he wrote. “I will have an office at Massey and I look forward to working with students. Can’t wait.”

Ignatieff toured Massey College on May 7 with his wife, Zsuzsanna Zsohar. His one-year contract with the college begins July 1. He will begin teaching after Labour Day for the academic year. He is expected to teach POL382H1, a special topics course offered for undergraduate political science students.

“We’re very pleased to welcome Michael Ignatieff back to his alma mater. He had a stellar reputation at Harvard with faculty and students alike,” said Naylor.