The ninth month of the Islamic calendar, Ramadan, is celebrated as a time for prayer, fasting, and reflection. Considered the most holy of months, Ramadan remembers the revealing of Muslim scriptures, the Qu’ran, to the Prophet Muhammad. The Islamic calendar is based on lunar cycles, and this year Ramadan coincides with the month of August.

For 30 days from dawn until dusk, Muslims abstain from consuming all food and drink, committing to a test of spiritual discipline. Fasting represents a pledge of the body and soul to the purification and reverence of the mind. It enables reflection and religious devotion, but also community building and charitable service.

Those who fast begin with a suhoor meal before sunrise and break their fast with an iftar dinner after sunset. Iftar is usually taken in a communal setting where those assembled break their fast together.

As a period of self-examination and reflection, Ramadan enables Muslims to further open their eyes and hearts to the misfortune of others. Fasting encourages compassion and sympathy for those less fortunate, such as the victims of famine in East Africa and others who suffer around the world. Many participate in initiatives to help those in need.

The Muslim Students’ Association (MSA) is one of the oldest student groups in Canada, and one of the largest at U of T.

Each campus has an MSA that aims to provide Muslim students with religious accommodation, halal dietary options and social support. They host and sponsors events and community outreach programs. Sarhan, spokesperson of UTM’s MSA, describes the organization as “a dynamic avenue to collaborate with other student clubs on shared academic, economic, political and moral goals.”

This Ramadan, MSAs are hosting weekly iftar dinners in association with other student groups as fundraising opportunities. Aisha Raja, VP social advancement for St. George campus’ MSA describes iftar as “a good time to reunite with friends over Ramadan and especially great for international students on campus” who are looking to celebrate. Raja welcomes all students to attend, regardless of religious background, as the MSA “is a fun and inclusive organization.”

MSAs co-ordinate events and volunteer initiatives throughout the year and welcome new volunteers. The St. George chapter was recognized by UTSU for successfully fundraising for an orphan sponsorship program. The group publishes The Muslim Voice magazine, while UTSC’s MSA publishes The Message newsletter.

Every Friday each MSA hosts Jumu’aa prayers to which all are welcome. Each campus MSA also hosts frosh events for new students.