Landing a research position in your first year can be daunting at first — even arduous. But fear not! Here are some tips on how to score that research assistant (RA) designation.

1. First, ask yourself what subject(s) interest you. It’s harder to invest yourself in a topic you don’t fancy.

2. If you already know what you like, look up the department website and check out the professors. Find out their interests and classes. Auditing is always an option.

3. Start emailing! Demonstrate that you are interested in their work. There’s no need to go overboard though — keep it concise.

4. There’s no harm in asking if they are accepting new lab assistants. They might even let you know when a new spot opens up!

5. Sign up on the department’s listserv. Lab positions are posted there, so keep an eye out.

6. Join the departmental course union. This is a great way to network and hear about other students’ research experience.

7. Aim to maintain a competitive (but realistic) GPA. Some professors will ask to see your transcript, so keep that in mind when you want to throw your hat into the ring.

8. Starting early gives you plenty of room to make mistakes and learn. Best of luck!

Why be an RA?

• It increases your chances of getting into a professional degree program.
  • The professor may recommend you to a sister department at another university.
  • Get your first taste of grad school life — and see if it’s the right fit for you.