Blues volleyball duo make top ten at world beach juniors

Varsity Blues women’s volleyball team members Alexandra Hudson and Charlotte Sider placed ninth at the 2011 world junior beach volleyball championships in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Hudson and Sider beach season came to an end with a loss to the USA in the round of 16. The pair’s finished the preliminary rounds with a 1-2 record.

The duo qualified for the world championships by winning the under-21 gold medal match at the 2011 Canadian beach volleyball championships on August 28th. They finished that three-day tournament with a 8-1 record.

Third-year Hudson and second-year Sider, are one the only UofT student-athlete pair to have earned a top-ten finish at the junior or youth world beach championships. the first to earn a top-10 finish.

-Gabriella Lambert

With files from varsityblues.ca

Blues Football Games

The Varsity Blues men’s football team defeated the York Lions 10-8 in the 42nd annual Red & Blue Bowl, the second game of their season.

The Blues held a 7-2 lead going into the fourth quarter, but relinquished it as the Lions scored back-to-back field goals. In an exciting finish, the Blues marched down the field to score their own field goal in the final two minutes and claim the victory.

Blues’ running back Aaron Milton led all rushers with 114 yards on 19 carries, while receiver Alex Pierzchalski had 9 receptions for 127 yards in the win.

The Blues kicked off their 2011 campaign with a 38-5 loss to the Windsor Lancers the previous weekend.

The Lancers scored the bulk of their points in the first two quarters, leading 35-5 by halftime.

One of U of T’s biggest plays of the Lancers game came in the second half from defensive back Kinahan, as he returned the first of his two interceptions for 69 yards.

Receiver Paul de Pass had 61 receiving yard, leading all players in that category.

-Alberto Bustamante

Former Olympian to coach men’s volleyball.

The Varsity Blues’ men’s volleyball program has hired John Barrett as interim head coach for the 2011-2012 season.

A participant in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and the 1990 world championships, Barrett’s coaching career has included spells as head coach of Canada’s volleyball team at the 2003 Pan American Games and as a coach at the National Beach Volleyball Practice Centre.

Barrett previously served as assistant coach to the U of T’s men’s program from 2006. He remains a member of Volleyball Canada’s Beach High Performance Committee.

-Guillaume Lacombe-Kishibe

With files from varsityblues.ca