This week’s Ten Dollar Restaurateur is Part I of a special two part series on Toronto’s best cheap Vietnamese food. I’ll start by admitting that when it comes to pho, I am certainly not an expert. Though I eat Vietnamese often, I have what I can only assume to be the “white person experience”; my choices are always either pho or bun. I’ve been to the Golden Turtle and I’ve been to Pho Hung, which are, according to several other sources, the best pho restaurants in the city — and I don’t disagree. But when you really want a bang for your buck you should head over to the west end of the city.

On College Street, just past Dufferin, are two very special pho restaurants, one of which called Pho Linh. Until recently I was exclusively a bun girl, and Pho Linh has what I consider to be the best bun for the best price. The meat is spiced to perfection (it’s not too spicy, but has a nice kick), and unlike many restaurants that skimp on the meat, the portions are generous. The spring rolls have an amazing combination of crunchy exterior with a soft interior that has a great mouthfeel — not grainy at all but nicely homogenized. Even if you don’t get spring rolls in your bun, get them as an appetizer. I dream about them, they’re so good. The rice noodles and strips of lettuce do not disappoint, and the nuoc cham (orange dipping sauce) gives the noodles and lettuce a bit more flavour when that’s all you have left in the bowl. At just $7.50, this meal will fill you up and nourish you, without inducing a food coma. It’s a lot of food, but you can still get in a full night of studying afterwards.