Despite some initial hesitance and maybe a little skepticism over yet another trailer trash musical after last fall’s Jerry Springer: The Opera, I can safely say that The Great American Trailer Park Musical is different, perhaps even better.

What really makes this show great is the little things. The production team sets the tone the minute you enter the theatre. The classic Kansas hit, “Carry On My Wayward Son” serenades the audience, followed by Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.”

Welcome to northern Florida trailer park, Armadillo Acres! Three classic, white, aluminum-sided trailers sit in cheap cheeriness in a row across the stage: one with neon blue accents, one with neon green, and one with neon pink. The green trailer in the center is the troubled home of main characters, Jeannie and Norbert; it displays a very prominent American flag on its side, reminding the audience of exactly where they are, both geographically and ideologically. The stage is dotted with plastic pink flamingos, rainbow lawn chairs and even a bright pink barbecue. If you look closely, one trailer even has a Bush–Cheney ‘08 bumper sticker on the side. The costumes are similar: the characters are decked out in cut-off shorts, cowboy boots, skin tight dresses, bath robes, silk leopard print overalls, and hair so high that a bump-it must be at work. The production team had a lot of fun creating this wacky world, but the attention to detail also suggests to a professionalism that is rare to see. Jeannie and Norbert’s trailer opens down the centre, allowing us to see inside their lives and inside this world.

There is a real sense of sincerity that underlies the outlandish comedy of The Great American Trailer Park Musical. The fairy lights and paper lanterns that are strewn across the trailers cast a soft glow on the stage, giving the set a certain charm. Inside Jeannie and Norbert’s trailer, the pink and green flowered wallpaper is tacky but sweet. These people are trying hard with what they have, and, believe it or not, trailer parks can be beautiful.

The cast carries the sentiment of the production design into the script, creating real characters with a lot of heart. The entire cast works so well to create this world, and each actor was brilliant in his or her own way. The three girls who make up the chorus — Saphire Demitro, Jennifer Morris, and Sarite Harris — are flawless. They play their characters with complete hilarity, sincerity, and audacity. They have chemistry as a trio that makes their characters camaraderie believable, while their vocal talent, both individually during solos and in harmony, was a highlight of the show. These women can really sing.

The play is hilarious but at times digs deeper, revealing some completely touching — sometimes heartbreaking — moments. Janice Hawke in particular plays Jeannie with sincerity, making her predicament tragic. As much as these characters are stereotypes, the cast makes them so much more; they become real people through the talent of their actors.

The Great American Trailer Park Musical is fun, funny, bold, and outlandish. The script is not amazing and the songs, although clever, are not the most catchy, but Hart House has a truly amazing production, totally worth seeing. This is an example of excellent theatre. There may have been a dropped accent or two, but generally, everything from costumes to music came together in a perfect theatrical storm. The Great American Trailer Park Musical has set the standard for the rest of the Hart House season, hopefully making for a fantastic year of theatre.

The Great American Trailer Park Musical runs at Hart House from Sept 23 – Oct 8, 2011