Using basic cardiology principles and a lot of ingenuity, Dr. David Albert, an Oklahoma-based physician, scientist, engineer, and entrepreneur, created the first ECG monitoring device for the Apple iPhone. Instead of several wires, sticky electrode pads, and bulky monitors, the iPhone ECG consists of a simple case with two built-in stainless-steel electrodes. The case, which snaps on to the iPhone 4, along with its app, provides a quality ECG when the electrodes are held in one’s hand or placed directly on the chest. In addition to ECG monitoring, the device has a function for measuring and tracking heart rate.

The device made its debut on YouTube late last year when Albert’s channel, ‘LifetoneTechnology,’ uploaded a video showing its use. The interest that followed from the medical and lay community alike was unexpected, least of all by Albert. The video quickly went viral and, according to Albert, it had 25,000 views the day after it was uploaded. As of now, the video has almost 300,000 views.

Albert initially created the device to be exclusively compatible with the iPhone 4. He has since created the iCard ECG, which has the same components as the original device but, like its name suggests, resembles a card rather than a case and can be attached using Velcro to other iPhone versions, as well as the iPad tablet. Albert also mentioned that Android versions of the ECG monitor are in production.

Though the device is still in its early days, Dr. Caroline Chessex, Clinical Director of the Cardiovascular Rehabilitation and Prevention Program at the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre, can envision some uses for the smartphone ECG monitor. For one, it may have a role in the ambulatory monitoring of intermediate risk patients. These patients could use the device to track their ECGs during exercise and then have a medical specialist provide feedback and a tailored exercise prescription based on the readings. Another use could be to monitor events for patients with undiagnosed palpitations.

While the modern-day cardiologist has a wide collection of diagnostic tools available for use, the most useful is also one of the oldest — the electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG). With the help of various strategically-placed electrodes, an ECG can provide a graphical record of the intrinsic electrical activity of the heart. This information can be used to diagnose cardiac arrhythmias and detect certain cardiac abnormalities and diseases. When more electrodes are employed, the ECG gives a better picture of cardiac functions, but it can still provide valuable information with as few as two electrodes.

Albert is quick to warn that when diagnosing a heart attack or detecting potentially fatal congenital cardiac rhythm abnormalities, the device is not a substitute for a more conventional, multi-electrode ECG. However, he says that the device can be used like an “ECG stethoscope,” allowing for the rapid assessment of cardiac rhythm in a variety of settings. The device can also be used by pharmaceutical companies to collect data on the cardiac rhythms of patients taking certain medications, even after these medications have entered the market and are no longer under direct investigation. Because it is GPS- and internet-enabled, the iPhone ECG allows for the fast transmission of data directly to a medical professional who can then provide an assessment of the results. Albert sees the potential for this device, not only in large North American cities, but also in rural areas and the developing world.

Despite the great interest in and potential utility of the iPhone ECG, it is not presently available on the market, as it has not yet been cleared for sale as a medical device in the USA. Once cleared, each device is anticipated to cost less than $100. By comparison, most basic heart rate monitors cost at least $100, if not much more.