The Varsity Blues men’s hockey team cruised to a 11–5 victory over the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières in an ill-tempered game Friday. The win puts the Blues’ record at 5–4–1 this season.

The Patriotes got on the board first, with a quick snapshot from the slot by winger Charles Bety in the fourth minute of play. The Blues responded 30 seconds later with a rebound goal by Paul Dupont, assisted by Robert Kay. Emmanuel Boudreau of the Patriotes then took a holding penalty, which lead to U of T scoring again a minute later, forward Blake Boddy capitalizing on the powerplay.

UQTR, back to regular strength, had several attempts on goal. Blues goalie Brett Williows stopped three rapid-fire one-timers to keep the score at 2–1 midway through the first period. After several minutes of Patriotes offensive domination, Blues winger Dan Brewer chipped the puck past the Québec defence for an unobstructed rush. Brewer’s shot was stopped by UQTR goalie Nadeau, who let out a large rebound off his blocker, allowing Toronto’s Preston to bury the puck to score the third for U of T.

The first period ended with the score 3–2 to the Blues, and the start of the second was slow in terms of scoring. Toronto scored their fourth on a cross-ice pass from Elliott to Liukkonen following six minutes of scoreless play, and Québec quickly answered with a one-timer from the right slot, catching the U of T defencemen flat-footed.

Ten minutes into the second period, U of T scored their fifth goal, with Tyler Turcotte shoveling the puck to forward Bergin who, after a deke, sunk a slap shot past Nadeau. Bergin’s goal was the first of six consecutive goals by the Blues, including a shot by Boddy from behind the Patriotes’ goal line that deflected off Nadeau’s skates into the net. UQTR, after five goals and 38 minutes of play, withdrew Nadeau for second goalie Vincent Lamontagne.

The second period saw unmitigated physicality and a dramatic increase in penalties. UQTR’s Ouellet and Boudreau both took penalties that led to Toronto goals and by the third period, multiple fights had broken out.

Four minutes into the third period, Patriotes forward Tremblay was ejected from the game following a scrap with the Blues’ Walters and a verbal altercation with the officials.

Despite the six-goal lead, Williows still faced challenges, with Quebec rattling off several point-shots and Ouellet sinking a point shot in the upper right-hand corner, putting the score at 10–4. UQTR took two more penalties, giving Toronto a two-man advantage for a minute and 30 seconds. Toronto scored their 11th goal on the 5-on-3. Minutes later, the Blues took two penalties which led to Quebec’s fifth goal, an impressive snipe by Felix Petit.