The Varsity Blues men’s hockey team fell 2–1 to the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees on the 16th annual Minor Hockey Night, Saturday at the Varsity Arena. The defeat followed a come-from-behind 4–3 overtime victory over the Carleton Ravens on Friday.

Blues head coach Darren Lowe described his team as “Flat. No other word for it. Really flat.”

The Gee-Gees opened the scoring at the 15:46 mark, on a two-on-one that beat Toronto goalie Garrett Sheehan on his blocker side. The Blues responded two minutes later as forward Kyle Ventura picked up a loose rebound in the slot following Cassidy Preston’s initial shot.

Ottawa scored the eventual winner in the second period on a 4-on-3 power play.

Though it was an even game throughout, the goals just weren’t coming for the Blues. This wasn’t due to a lack of offensive pressure; the Blues had 24 shots and crashed the Ottawa net hard.  “We got our chances; we just couldn’t put the puck in the net,” Lowe admitted.

Toronto’s power play proved particularly costly, with the Blues unable to convert, especially during a crucial four-minute power play mid-way through the third period.

“They were clogging the neutral zone. We kept trying to deke in instead of just dumping it,” Lowe said.

In the last 15 minutes, U of T had a number of quality chances, maintaining pressure in the Ottawa end. Playing like that for a full 60 minutes might have led to a different result.

“It’s human nature after an emotional win like the one on Friday,” explained Lowe. “There were some things that we planned on doing tonight, but we didn’t get around to executing them until about 15 minutes left. When we did, we generated some good scoring chances.”

The Blues, 7–5–3 so far this season, sit sixth in the OUA East standings. “We’ve had to play some tough teams in the first half [of the season]. We have had some significant injuries and we played through it. We’ve grown as a team and have played some good hockey,” Lowe said.

The Blues focused on improving defensive zone game in the first half of the season. Toronto’s defensive play on Saturday suggested the plan is working. The Blues were able to play strongly down low in their own end and effectively disrupt the Gee-Gees shooting lanes.

“Our defensive zone coverage has been better in the last four games, but it’s a work in progress,” explained Lowe. “We have to make sure we execute the game plan, whatever it happens to be. We just didn’t do that tonight.”

The Blues wrap up the first half of their season on the road on December 2, against the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. The Blues return to Varsity Arena on January 13 to play the Ryerson Rams.