The Varsity Blues women’s basketball team upset the CIS third-ranked University of Windsor Lancers 81–80 in a close game Saturday. The win improved the CIS number-ten Blues’ overall record to 6–1.

Both teams shot well in the first quarter of the game, but the Lancers’ rebounding strength allowed them to gain early momentum. Jill Stratton made an immediate impact for Toronto, scoring six points in the first six minutes of the game, but that wasn’t enough to stop the Lancers from ending the first quarter with a 22–17 lead.

Windsor’s defence was strong throughout the first half, as the team combined for six steals — many led to easy fast-break baskets. Missed shots by the Blues allowed the Lancers to retain their momentum, and Windsor ended the half up 42–36.

The third quarter followed a similar pattern, with Toronto missing opportunities and being pushed around by the Lancers’ size and physical game play. But the Lancers proved less consistent in the period, allowing the Blues to close the gap to three points at one stage. The Lancers were then able to widen the scoring gap, and a missed lay up by the Blues allowed Windsor to end the third quarter ahead 59–52.

The Blues came out strong in the fourth, quickly bringing the score up to 59–56, before Windsor began to pull away to a seven point lead. But Toronto wasn’t willing to give up on the game; a Blues run put the team ahead for the first time in the second half as they led 66–65.

BERNARDA GOSPIC/THE VARSITY

A Joanna Medri three-pointer gave Toronto a brief three point lead towards the end of the fourth quarter, before a layup and foul shot by Windsor tied the score at 77–77 with just 1:35 left in the game. Foul shots by both teams brought the score to 79–78 to the Blues, before a turnover followed by a foul against the Blues allowed Windsor to take an 80–79 lead with under a minute left.

After a Toronto timeout and with just ten seconds left in the game, Stratton made a clutch field goal, putting the Blues ahead 81–80. The Lancers tried to respond on their final possession, but the crushing Blues’ defence forced Windsor to try a long three-pointer that missed the net, cementing the win for Toronto.

What allowed the Blues to close the scoring gap in the fourth quarter? “I think we stepped up on defence … and [Joanna Medri] found her rhythm on shots. Alicia hit some shots as well, and I finally got one to fall,” commented Jill Stratton, who finished the game with eleven points and five rebounds.

Varsity Blues head coach Michele Belanger was very impressed by her team’s performance. “[The Blues were] outstanding… They all relied on each other and everybody made contributions when they needed to make contributions, which I think is the sign of a great team.”

Toronto’s high-scorer Joanna Medri ended the night with 21 points. “[Winning felt] so good. [The Lancer’s are] the number-three team in the country, so that was huge for us… We knew that these were two big games this weekend, Western and Windsor … and it feels great that we went 2–0 [this weekend].”

Belanger noted that the Blues women weren’t intimidated by the Lancer’s high CIS ranking coming into the game. “If anything they were more excited… We beat [Windsor] last year by one so I guess this is two years in a row!”

The Blues next take on the McMaster Marauders in Hamilton on Friday, December 2.