Professor Stephen Wright is a young, charismatic ecology and evolutionary biology scientist who conducts the large lectures in St. George’s Convocation Hall, the same building that inspired him not so long ago.

“It is fantastic from my perspective. I really got inspired initially to do what I do from being a student here, so it is fantastic to be able to teach and do research at the university,” he says.

Wright points out that not too long ago, he was an indecisive undergrad much like the students he teaches.

“When I started here as a student at the University of Toronto, I had pretty broad interests,” he says.

However, his first-year experience helped him shape the direction of his studies, he shares.

“It was learning about evolutionary biology in Convocation Hall that inspired me to go further on. Then, I took genetics class in second year, and combining genetics with evolution is what got me excited and into my research direction.”

He then went on to work on his PhD in Edinburgh, Scotland and completed it within three years. Newly married at the time, he brought his wife with him to experience life abroad.

“It was fantastic as a cultural experience, and the university was a fantastic place for learning. It was very inspirational,” he says.

His greatest career achievement to date, the professor says, is being able to “take big evolutionary questions and [trying] to address them with new genomic data.”

The university offers the ideal environment for Wright’s continued research.

According to Wright, the big attraction in his field of evolutionary genetics is its real critical mass; there’s a very dynamic and interactive group in that area.

Most of Wright’s studies involve the evolution and reproduction of plants. He noted that plants aren’t regulated by sex when it comes to reproduction.

Wright mentions that they can also help produce a drought-resistant crop for famine-stricken countries.

“A lot of the analysis of plant genomes that we’re doing certainly has the potential to have that applied importance for crop improvement.”

In his lectures, Wright wants his students to be inspired by the functional applications of science, not just its theoretical aspects.

“[I like] the idea that we can go out and gather evidence and test hypotheses so students realize that there is still ongoing controversy in the field,” he says.

Asked about his favourite plant, Wright sheepishly replies that it’s Shepherd’s Purse.

“It is one of the most common plants on the planet; you can find it all over the U of T campus as a weed.”