“One of the most significant aspects of my identity has been my sexual [orientation], as it has been questioned by myself and by the people around me,” says Ricky Rodrigues, political and educational coordinator for LGBTOUT.

Born and raised in Toronto, Rodrigues says that he continuously battles discrimination at U of T because of his open sexual identity as a queer male.

Although Rodrigues was bullied throughout elementary and his first years of high school, he claims that once he came out it was easier for him to deal with societal pressures and intolerance.

PHOTO COURTESY OF MICHAEL STUCKLESS

“It was easier for me because I was able to live as the person that I felt I was; I didn’t have to hide anymore,” says Rodrigues proudly. “I could tackle homophobia in a better way by taking pride in my identity.”

In grade 12, Rodrigues was puzzled that though his high school commemorated the holocaust and celebrated black history month, there was strong resistance to promoting  homophobia awareness. In response, he initiated The Rainbow Project, which celebrated queer identity and offered workshops educating teens about homophobia and equity.

Now a second-year sociology student, Rodrigues says that his past struggles confronting homophobia inspired him to  be involved  in student life and activism.

As the political and educational coordinator for LGBTOUT, he reaches out to the community through different events and discussion groups that address issues of homophobia, intersectionality, and identity.

Despite these efforts and U of T’s positive space, Rodrigues still encounters discrimination at the university.

“The sad thing is that the homophobia still happens at U of T — like the graffiti in the washrooms; or when I’m sitting in class and I hear people whispering and giggling at my appearance right in front of me. I don’t let it get to me, but it’s still there. You’d think that it wouldn’t happen in university,” says Rodrigues.

“But what upsets me more is seeing some of the issues other queer-identified students face. Like women and trans, they have a small group to rely on and more resources are needed for them,” he continued.

Rodrigues believes that not only is U of T still very traditionally heteronormative, but that some programs of study don’t appreciate the intersectionality of experiences in course materials.

To illustrate his point, Rodrigues discusses how some case studies used in classes do not distinguish between the experiences of an upper-class, white, heterosexual male versus those of a homosexual male of a different race or social background.

“Whenever an example is used in class there is still a lot of use of heteronormative examples and I don’t feel like I can relate… I don’t see the experiences that I’m going through being reflected in the material,” he says.

He says that U of T must engage in a wider initiative to increase awareness about diversity.

In spite of his frustrations, Rodrigues commends the efforts of the SGDO and other equity offices that promote inclusion at the university. At the same time, he thinks that a more vigorous campaign addressing discrimination is needed.

“I’m very glad for my overall experience at U of T, but it’s time for a more a intensive positive space campaign, more than just stickers,” urges Rodrigues.