Victoria College’s intramural co-ed ultimate frisbee team recorded a commanding 21–1 victory over the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) team Saturday at Varsity Stadium. SGS were conquered after 60 minutes of play and eliminated in the Division 1 quarterfinal round.

Despite the final score, the rookie SGS team managed to stay quite competitive throughout the game. The players on the Vic team had nothing but praise for SGS’s performance. “They were a bit of an inexperienced team,” admitted Victoria’s ultimate captain Giorgio Traini. “But they worked really hard and challenged us with some great runners.”

Things only began slipping in the second half for SGS as Victoria made some impressive deep passes and interceptions to secure the victory. Traini also credited “strong women players who were able to throw deep to score some points.” An SGS player suffered a sprained ankle near the end of the game but is expected to be fine.

With the win, Victoria College — 3–2 in the regular season — advances to the semifinal to face UTSC next Saturday March 10.

A few SGS players had more on their mind than just the loss after the game. A player who wished to remain anonymous discussed how intramural deposit fees are affecting their play. “We were only able to play three games this year, simply because teams didn’t bother to show up or had too few players,” he said. The rules state that ultimate frisbee teams must pay a deposit fee to play as an incentive to attend season games. The money is paid back at the end of the season, but many colleges “pay the team fees themselves so there’s no consequences for the players if they don’t show up.”

On the north field, last year’s finalists, the Graduate PhD students, lost to the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education (PHE) by a score of 20–13. The PhD students, many of whom are playing their final year of intramurals, attributed their loss to a younger and faster PHE team. Despite Saturday’s victory, PHE face a difficult road ahead as they advance to play Skule’s A-team in the semifinals next Saturday. Skule was undefeated in the regular season with a 5–0 record.