Feeling the stress of the exam time crunch? You’re not alone.

In a 2009 survey of six Ontario campuses, more than half of undergraduate students said they felt overwhelmed by anxiety during exams.

ROCHELLE ARANHA/THE VARSITY

“I have three midterms and exams plus a presentation within two days. It’s definitely been quite stressful,” said Aleksandra Dragozet, second-year biological anthropology student.

More students experience increased symptoms of stress or anxiety during exam periods, according to Jill Stier, assistant professor at the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy.

“For those students with mental health problems, the symptoms tend to be amplified as the term comes to an end,” Stier said. “During this time, students tend to have more academic demands placed on them, which can seriously affect their mental health.”

These stress-related symptoms could snowball into major cases. Last year at Queen’s, six students died due to stress and mental illness.

Chris McGrath, president of the Canadian Association of College and University Student Services, cited suicide as the second most common cause of death of people aged 18 to 24 after car accidents.

In an emergency-type situation, services are available at the students’ disposal.

Sarah Illman, a candidate for an MSc in occupational therapy, suggested students refer to the “emergency section” of the Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website: http://www.caps.utoronto.ca/Emergencies.htm.

Stier also added that it is crucial for students to feel comfortable talking about their symptoms and ultimately get assistance. She said that conversations within the university, faculties, and departments should take place to ensure that the stigma of mental illness is minimized.

Students themselves are trying to figure out ways to deal with stress and heavy workloads.

“I think the key is to do the work as you get it and avoid falling behind. It also helps to make exam notes as you go, so that you don’t have to do them all at once when the semester comes to an end,” said Katarina Andrejevic, second-year immunology and physiology student.

“I try to balance what I study for and pay even attention to all my subjects. As well, I try to study without distractions, so I keep my phone locked away,” remarked Teodora Avaramov, first-year English student.

There is also a wide variety of programs that can help students take their minds off of school.

Laurie Coleman, a registered U of T social worker, suggested that programs offered at Multi-Faith Centre, Hart House, and various athletic centres are helpful in dealing with stress. Exercising, doing yoga, or engaging in religious practices were all some methods she had seen students using during this stressful time.

“It is important to let students know that they are not alone because many students are going through similar feelings and emotions,” Stier said. “Students should know that there are resources available at the university that can help them achieve their academic goals and maximize their personal development.”