The new Weslodge Saloon, located at 480 King St. W., features a dark and smoky interior with a Western aesthetic complimented by leather-bound menus and holster-wearing staff. It’s a unique, and trendy concept space, but when I visited the restaurant, the service was less than impressive. As I sat down at the bar, I was told that I would not be served because the bartender had stepped out. While Weslodge’s menu is reasonably priced, the selection is minimal and forces you to choose between a range of slightly peculiar salads, a burger, and some additional “old-timey” dinner dishes that should, quite frankly, stay in the 1920s (venison chops or Ontario lamb shoulder anyone?).

I decided to go for the burger, which, as far as I’m concerned, is usually a safe bet and a pretty good way of judging the quality of the kitchen. The wide-cut and freshly made fries that came with the burger were delicious. The burger was supposed to be medium-well, but was served blue. The portions were also pretty sparse, and I noticed that a minimal amount of food was being delivered to other tables as well.

Weslodge seems to cater to a certain clientele: young people who want King Street dining at a reasonable price, with no plans to eat anything substantial.

View Larger Map