There are many factors that could motivate high school and post-secondary students to seek opportunities for volunteering overseas: personal satisfaction, the possibility of increased social esteem, improving your resume, extra-curricular requirements — the list goes on. But is every young person the most suitable candidate for volunteering abroad and is it a good investment for both volunteers and those that are to receive their assistance?

While motivation is in no short supply among prospective volunteers in this age group, it is worth questioning whether that motivation really of the correct sort. That is not to say that those with a sincere interest in cross-cultural interaction and providing assistance to developing countries should not become involved in such programs. Volunteer hours and extra-curricular activities are encouraged — and in some cases — required in order to earn a high school diploma or for post-secondary applications. Furthermore, in a competative world, employers and scholarships seek those who have demonstrated some form of community involvement, and prefer voluntary experience to academic achievement. But while motivation for overseas volunteering may often be altruistic, it isn’t always so.

While an experience such as helping to build an elementary school in a developing country might seem to speak to selflessness and culture-consciousness on your resume, if you do not feel that volunteering abroad is something that you can truly be dedicated to, you’d be better of saving yourself and your parents several thousand dollars and volunteering domestically.

The issue of global development is a highly complex one. If you feel that it is a course that you may be willing to pursue and explore in-depth, then it may be that volunteering abroad is for you. On the other hand, if you’re interested in making a difference in the lives of others, consider donating your trip money to a reputable charity focusing on issues in your home country or in a developing country that truly needs the money. Several thousand dollars in charitable contribution can make a real difference.

Another question is whether or not the people and communities whom these programs are meant to assist really benefit from them. Those international volunteers who are dedicated and passionate about global development can make effective contributions in assisting developing communities and representing their home country on a global scale, while having a valuable cultural experience. But volunteering abroad should be seen as a much more serious matter than an opportunity for tourism, which is how some currently perceive it. If you want to make a difference, examine other possible options that could also fulfill your personal goals before deciding that you are the right person for volunteering abroad. If you would like simply to beautify your resume, you should save your efforts for organizations in your local community.