A team of scientists led by forensic pathologist and anthropologist Philippe Charlier have examined the preserved remains of warrior King Richard I of England. The king, renowned for his prowess in battle, was nicknamed Lionheart. Richard I died in 1199, 12 days after he was wounded in the left shoulder by a crossbow bolt. Popular theories about his cause of death have included the speculation that the bolt was poisoned, though most scientists and historians favour infection as the royal C.O.D.

In analyzing the regal remains, the team used just two grams of the powdered remains of Richard’s heart. Tests included scanning electron microscopy and other techniques in toxicologic and pollen analysis. The team discovered pollen traces from common embalming plants including daisy, frankincense, myrtle and mint. Pollen from poplar and bellflower were also found; these two plants were in bloom when the king died. Though bacteria were found by the scientists, they could not be used to conclusively state how the king died.

Charlier, identified by The New York Times as “France’s most famous forensic sleuth” has definite experience in this sort of investigation ­— he’s previously examined the head of Henry IV and relics that reportedly belonged to the French heroine Joan of Arc, though the “relics” were actually animal bones. He also does more traditional forensic work with French police forces through the Raymond Poincaré University Hospital, and teaches at Paris Descartes University.

With files from Nature, Popular Science, and The Independent (UK)