Les Carabins de Montreal defeated the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds 5–3 Saturday evening in front of a raucous crowd at Varsity Stadium. With the win, les Carabins advance to the final where they will face the Calgary Dinos in a rematch of last year’s final, which Montreal lost 5–1.

The game started off looking like UBC would get the win after they jumped out to a 1–0 lead midway through the first period on a shot from forward Tatiana Rafter. The Thunderbirds’ defence was dominant as les Carabins had trouble getting shots on net. However, when the second period started, things started to turn around for les Carabins.

Returning from the break, les Carabins would score the next two goals, taking the lead and beginning their stellar play which would last the rest of the game and ultimately fuel their victory.

Although the Thunderbirds eventually scored to tie the game at 2–2, a Carabins goal from Marion Allemoz off a Cassandra Dupuis assist would provide Montreal with the lead, which they would never relinquish.

A desperate comeback late in the last period netted the Thunderbirds their last goal which pulled them within two points, but UBC simply could not find a way to put the puck in the net and possibly extend the game to overtime.

The Montreal players noted after the game how their play in the second and third periods was much improved compared to their play in an ugly first period.

“We worked hard, but we didn’t start that way at the start of the game. The second and third periods were good because we played as hard as we could” said Montreal defender Sophie Brault.

“I think we worked hard all the way to the end, and we played together, which is the key,” added forward Maxie Plante.

Despite the loss, UBC stayed positive and looked at their improved play compared to the previous day’s overtime loss to the Varsity Blues as motivation and encouragement heading into their next game against Queen’s.

“Even though that wasn’t the outcome we wanted, I was really proud of the girls and happy with everything,” said head coach Graham Thomas. “We played with a lot of heart and we played much better as a team, stuck to the game plan and put in a better effort.”

“We didn’t give up at all. There were a lot of times where we could have thrown in the towel, but we still went at it. I’m very proud of the girls,” added assistant coach Barbara Bilko.

With the disappointing loss on their minds, UBC players and coaches have to move on quickly because the next day’s game against Queen’s provides them with a huge opportunity to do something the program has never done before: win a game at the National Championship tournament.

“We have more to prove now since we haven’t won a game yet. For our seniors and for our team we want to leave on a high note and let people know that we’ll be back next year, ready to go,” said UBC defenseman Christi Capozzi.

For les Carabins, this year’s team is focussed on winning the championship after last year’s disappointing failure to do so. This game was the ticket to the final, and that motivated les Carabins to put all of their heart and soul into grinding out a victory.

“We were here for one reason: to make it to the final, and that’s it,” said Brault.

After losing to the Calgary Dinos in last year’s CIS final 5-1, les Carabins now have the chance to avenge that loss and bring the CIS championship back home with them to Montreal.

“It is a matter of pride, so we have to show everybody that we’re going to work hard and we’re going to play together just like we did tonight, but we have to start at the beginning of the game,” said Plante.

“We’re going to play with our heart and give everything we’ve got,” added Brault.