MINHEE BAE / THE VARSITY

University College (UCLit)

MINHEE BAE / THE VARSITY

President: Nishi Kumar
Vice-President: Ryan Philips
Finance Commissioner: Lyndsay Menzies
University and Academic Affairs Commissioner: Ben Le
Turnout Rate: 406 students/4,300 students, or 9.44 per cent

UC students voted in their new executives this past month with Vice-President Nishi Kumar becoming the new president of UCLit. Except for the presidency, all other core executive positions were acclaimed. According to Ben Dionne, current president and election CRO, this year’s elections had a high rate of incumbency with almost all candidates having served on the council before. In terms of a potential fee diversion referendum, uc is not currently moving towards any action towards this in the future.

Engineering (EngSoc) 

President: Mauricio Curbelo
VP Finance: Gordon Tattle
VP Communications: Thomas Santerre
VP Academic: Shaishav Shah over Maged Ahmed
VP Student Life: Gabriel Stavros

In early March, Mauricio Curbelo, formerly vice-president, external for the Engineering Society (EngSoc) won the presidency on a platform that included improving academic relations with the administration and increased clubs funding. Both the positions for vice-president finance and vice-president communications were acclaimed after two candidates dropped out. This was the first election in recent years in which every race was decided in the first round of elections. For Engineering students, the most important issues revolved around services, such as the future of the council’s class rep system.

Physical and health education (PHEUA)

President: Anthony O’Brien
VP Academics: David DiFonzo
VP Communications: Craig Cuizon
VP External: Kwame Sarpong
VP Finance: Tiffany Lung
VP Social: Sara Iaboni
Voter Turnout: 26 per cent

Students voted for their new pheua executive in late March, with presidential candidate Anthony O’Brien acclaimed to his position. All other positions except for vice-president, academics were also acclaimed, and two positions were left vacant. pheua is currently in a by-election cycle to select the vice-president, equity and vice-president, graduates (voting April 2–3). Kevin Sousa, past president of the pheua, says that concerns for the new pheua executive should include increased engagement of first- and second-year students, and increased academic advocacy.

U of T at Mississauga (UTMSU)

UTMSU voted for its new executives from March 26th to March 28. There is only one slate, Connect, running in the election with effectively no opposition. The presidential candidate, Raymond Noronha, is currently the vice-president internal at UTMSU. The candidates include: Nausheen Adam for vice-president internal, Melissa Theodore for vice-president external, Ro’a Saafan for vice-president equity, Hamza Ansari for vice-president university affairs and academics, and Hassan Havili for vice-president part-time affairs. This is the third time in a row that utm elections have run with no opposition. Connect’s platform includes:

•advocating for progressive reform in academic policies such as a drop credit policy
•advocating for students with as low as a 20 per cent course load to be eligible for OSAP
•continued lobbying for reduction of tuition fees

In an email to The Varsity, current UTMSU president, Christopher Thompson, said that the new executives should balance ongoing projects with the building of new ones — with a particular focus on expanding the student centre and reducing student fees.

With files from The Medium.

Scarborough (SCSU)

President: Sarah Worku (90.1 per cent of vote)
VP Equity: Yusra Khogali (86.86 per cent of vote)
VP University Affairs: Ranziba Nehrin (85.8 per cent)
VP External: Guled Arale (89.87 per cent)

UTSC held its elections from February 6 to 8, and elected all of its executive team on an acclaimed basis. Both Arale and Worku are incumbents who had served on the scsu this past year. One of the debates on campus in January had to do with online voting and whether it should be instituted — the campus still does not have online voting for its students and instead uses polling stations around campus with paper balloting.

With files from The Underground.

MINHEE BAE / THE VARSITY

Innis College (ICSS)

President: Mary Stefanidis
Vice-President: Ryan Lamers
VP Finance: Christopher Pejovic
VP Internal: Carol Ye
Voter Turnout: 257 students/1,900 students

Innis College elected Mary Stefanidis as president in early March. Stefanidis ran on a campaign that included improving the student experience at Innis College among other things. She was contested by Lauren Birch, the first time that the icss has had two female candidates running for the presidency. Over half of the positions on the icss were contested.

New College (NCSC)

President: Ashkan Azimi
VP Finance: Janeen Gabison
VP Student Life: Adrian Leckie
VP Admin: Craig Maniscalco
Voter Turnout: 450/~4,500 students

Ashkan Azimi, formerly an off-campus director on the NCSC, won the presidency of the ncsc with 41 per cent of the vote. Azimi ran on a platform of a more efficient council. This was the only competitive executive race within the ncsc elections. The one main grievance was that the ncsc constitution only allowed for “yes” or “spoil” votes for acclaimed positions. It was ruled that if the spoil votes exceeded the number of “yes” votes, there would be a re-vote to figure out how many of those votes were “no” or “spoil.
Trinity (TCM)
Female Head of College: Maha Naqi
Male Head of College: Ben Crase
TCM Chair: Patrick Harris
Voter Turnout: 25 per cent

Ben Crase and Maha Neqi became Heads of College based on platforms that were about improving communications and food services at Trin (Naqi) as well some institutional reform, such as extending the term of the Head of College (Crase). Crase is concurrently to serve as Trinity’s UTSU Director, seeking to finalize fee severance approved by voters overwhelmingly in a referendum. Patrick Harris was acclaimed as the Chair of the TCM.

Victoria (VUSAC)

MINHEE BAE / THE VARSITY

President: Jelena Savic
VP External: Zack Medow
VP Internal: Kathleen Walsh
Voter Turnout: 14 per cent

Jelena Savic won the presidency for vusac on a detailed platform that involved increased financial transparency and fostering a stronger connection with Vic students. Medow won the vice-president, external position based partly on a platform of institutional reform of vusac. Walsh, the former Scarlet and Gold Commissioner, won the vice-president, internal position.

UTSU Referendum on Fee Diversion:
Yes: 61 per cent
No: 34 per cent
Turnout: 12 per cent (15 per cent needed for the result to be binding)

There was no No campaign for the election period, which Ashley Quan, the CRO, attributes to the tight timeline of the elections. Dylan Moore, a fourth-year student, was the head of the “Yes” campaign. During the voting period, he released a Facebook note questioning VUSAC’s ability to handle fee diversion. In an email, Moore said the disqualifications of the president, vice-president external, and a Yes campaigner, had shaken the Yes campaign’s confidence in its message. The disqualifications were later overturned, but the candidates lost four valuable days of campaigning. There was also concern over the committee’s transparency, since it did not release meeting minutes during the race.

St. Michael’s College (SMCSU)

President: Alexander Zappone
Vice-president: Andrew Kiel

Zappone and Kiel defeated Julian Sinopli and Brian Rankin. The victors ran on a platform of accountability to SMC students, promising to bring updated budgets and greater transparency to SMCSU. Both are reputed to be in favour of the utsu, presenting a potential roadblock to SMC’s upcoming referenda on fee diversion. Both Zappone and Kiel and their opponents were incumbents, all having formerly served in some capacity on SMCSU. The results of the election are unofficial.

Woodsworth College

MINHEE BAE / THE VARSITY

There is one major seven-candidate slate, Legacy, running in the election cycle. Woodsworth began allowing slates in 2011. Legacy’s major platform points include financial accountability of expenses (making them traceable on the wcsa website), more collaboration with other colleges (especially in terms of playing a role in the sgrt to coordinate events), and improving transparency of wcsa affairs. Several independent candidates are also running for executive positions, such as Kevin Doodnauth, for vice-president, public relations. Nick Gourlay, outgoing president of the wcsa, said this year’s campaign has focused on transparency and fostering a stronger connection with the large university community at large.

Voting period: April 1–5, 2013

Stay up to date. Get breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox:

* indicates required