U of T was ranked the 16th best university in the world in recently-released the Times Higher Education rankings. This comes at a time in which Canadian universities are receiving less government funding due to adverse financial conditions. Consequently, many institutions have raised tuition fees and, of course, many students have protested the unfortunately necessary increases. But should Canadian governments, particularly Ontario, rethink their stance on post-secondary funding, at U of T in particular? Moreover, in light of its climb in the rankings, should U of T consider adopting a more selective admissions process and admit fewer undergraduates? In other words, should U of T start to cater to students who want to come here for the school’s academic reputation and who, in turn — as with other top universities — expect the best opportunities? The short answer to these questions is yes.

The government, as well as U of T itself, should take a stance of developing a more competitive, responsive, and more personal academic experience in order to attract those students who are aiming to get into the best schools. Currently, U of T plays the numbers game and admits a lot of students, some of whom may not expect the standards to be so high, and in turn find their experience here less than rewarding. On the other hand, there are students who relish the challenge that U of T’s tough academic standards pose, seeing it as an opportunity to finish with a degree from a reputable school and with top-notch credentials — a springboard to the best grad programs and jobs. While this difference is quite simple, it is a crude example of the current situation here. Many students come in unprepared for what U of T has to offer, while others place higher value on aspects of the university experience other than academic performance and reputation.

In order to reflect its standing as a top university, U of T should cater to the students who apply here because it is the best university in Canada. This means that U of T should raise the bar for admissions, increasing the minimum requirements as well as having a more discerning admissions process. Additionally U of T should begin to admit less undergraduates per year, so that classroom sizes can be smaller, providing a more personal experience and a better student to professor or TA ratio. Furthermore, having a more selective process and a smaller yearly class would enrich class discussions and produce higher quality student work. Students would also benefit from better access to academic resources and, presumably, these new cohorts would be a better fit for the rigours of U of T’s academic life.

To absorb the financial shock of lower admittance numbers, the government should provide better funding for U of T. More public funds should be invested to help U of T continue to grow and develop its resources so that it can continue its climb into the world’s top 10 universities. With extra funding, the university can keep attracting the best minds, both students and professors. It can be more responsive to the needs of students who are motivated to succeed at the highest level, rather than having a one-size-fits-all approach that results in larger class sizes and disinterested students.

David Gelles is a political science student at St. Michael’s College.