If there’s anyone capable of bringing mystical sprites, romantic mysticism, and woodland creatures together in a two-minute song, it’s Jim Guthrie, the composer of the soundtrack behind the adventure game, Sword & Sworcery. Guthrie’s latest, Takes Time, sees his return to the game. This time, it’s purely for the music.

Guthrie, who in recent years has made a career as a game creator, is not set on being stereotyped or pigeonholed into the gaming genre. He makes this clear with Takes Time, which in its entirety can be seen as a continuation of his Juno-nominated masterpiece, Now, More Than Ever.

Like Now, More Than Ever, Takes Time is not instrumental — there is no chiptune, and Guthrie sings on every track of the album. There are anti-folk and indie elements akin to Guthrie’s past solo efforts. However, strip the vocals out and an “artistic voice” similar to Sworcery emerges.

Sword & Sworcery taught me something about myself,” admits Guthrie in an interview with The Verge. “I learned a lot about music and what I’m capable of.”

Guthrie’s sentiments are evident with tracks like “Taking My Time,” which has bits of synth scattered throughout. The album’s heavy reliance on acoustics and exploration of themes that touch upon the woes of inner-city life evoke an indescribable lukewarm intimacy from music made in the gaming years. Additionally, Guthrie’s collaboration with Canadian musician Shaw-Han Liem, co-creator of the highly experimental music game, Sound Shapes, and illustration artwork by graphic designer Cory Schmitz, suggests that one foot still somewhere in the gaming world.

Nevertheless, whether Guthrie is indeed picking up where he left off in Now, More Than Ever or trying to capture the same ambience and mood of Sworcery, the musical direction of Takes Time is questionable.

At face value, the album is more conventional than his previous works. In terms of content and style, it’s not groundbreaking — it lacks a distinctive sound that sets it apart from its contemporaries.

The guitar work and pale echoic vocals, places it in the same creative and musical realm of many indie acts such as The Shins and The Postal Service. At times the backing vocals and folksy pop vibe of the album of Takes Time are nearly identical to Danny Elfman’s film score for the recent hit Silver Linings Playbook.

Having said that, Takes Time is fairly tolerable. It’s radio friendly, and the songs are strong enough to create and sustain a nostalgic journey that speaks to Guthrie’s sense of joyful adventurism.

“Some things just take time. And if you can accept that, it makes living a whole lot easier,” says Guthrie. With a change in artistic direction, there’s no doubt that the multi-instrumental musician took his time. After all, it’s his first solo debut in a decade.