They say the best way to get to know a city is on foot. As University of Toronto students, we are fortunate enough to have one of the world’s most walkable and diverse cities at our disposal. Bored of regular gym visits, but no fan of running, I decided to strap on my sneakers and explore all that the city has to offer.

The physical and mental health benefits are obvious, but going for a walk can also be fun, restorative, and adventurous. If you’re like me, and you are regularly mistaken for a ghost due to your pale skin, sauntering outside and soaking in all that sweet Vitamin D with ample sunscreen applied can ease your paleness plight. On a bad day, embarking on a contemplative stroll rather than drowning your sorrows in a tub of frozen yogurt offers more productive therapeutic effects (though I remain a firm advocate of a good helping of froyo).

In a city of this size, it can be overwhelming to decide where to venture on your promenade. Here’s a list of some of my personal favourite routes to help you narrow it down.

Harbourfront

A breezy stroll for a summer day

On a scorching day, you’re dying to be outside, but once there you’re also desperate for a refreshing breeze. At the peak of summer heat, Harbourfront is heaven. Don’t be turned off by all the construction around the area right now. Once you get past Lake Shore Boulevard you’ll be able to walk uninterrupted alongside the beautiful waterfront. The route is basically straight East-West, and the view can seem a little monotonous, but there is no shortage of benches and shady picnic spots to break up your walk along the way. Some highlights include the famous Music Garden and the adorable Little Norway Park around the Bathurst intersection.

High Park

Diverse trails for the adventurous hiker

High Park, Toronto’s largest park, is rich in history and breathtaking scenery. Filled with areas of open greenery, rugged trails off the main path, and even a mini zoo, you’ll be so taken by the natural sights, sounds, and smells, it’ll be hard to believe you’re just steps away from the busy Bloor West. Unexpectedly picturesque pockets, like Grenadier Pond, offer both uphill climbing options and beautiful lookout spots to bring a date. The park is also a perfect place to bring your dog, with many designated areas where dogs can run around off-leash. The area offers an interesting mix of nature and culture, with the existence of an outdoor theatre, In The Park, which features regular performances of plays by Shakespeare, alongside the beautiful and well-kept green spaces. High Park is worth revisiting due to its sprawling size, which allows you to discover multiple paths to take as well as enclaves to explore on different days

The Annex/Yorkville

U of T’s charming backyard 

The Annex is a “clear your head” kind of route that invites solitary strolls with your headphones blasting your favourite playlist for aimless wandering. For an urban area so close to the downtown core, it’s surprisingly quiet and peaceful, with archways of trees lining the sidewalks and the hard work of gardeners on colourful display. The streets of antique homes and old world charm look especially gorgeous at this time of the year. Any route between Bloor and Davenport will take you on quaint residential roads, and once you get east of Avenue, the upscale shops and spacious streets will give you a change of scenery. Check out the famous flower shops at Avenue and Davenport if you’re looking to bring a little piece of your Annex adventure back home.

Kensington Market

Be distracted by sights and scents

If you’re in the mood for a slow-paced stroll, check out this trendy stretch of boutiques, vintage stores, coffee shops, and restaurants. For those who don’t mind narrow streets and having little-to-no shoulder space in between mobs of people, Kensington has a lot to offer, including a marketplace filled with fresh, local produce. For this route, you might want to lower the volume on your earphones so that you can immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of the area. Be sure to stop for a churro, and perhaps a friendly mime will even “let you in” through an already-opened door. If the goal of your outing is to do more shopping, sitting, and eating than actual walking, Kensington Market is optimal. It doesn’t stretch across too much territory, but you can extend your route through Spadina and Dundas just as long as you’re not tempted by all the restaurants and quirky shops along the way.

Don River Valley

For the dedicated hiker who can shut out honking horns

The Don River Valley, home to Toronto’s old Brick Works landmark, is a great place to go for more serious hiking as well as leisure walking trails. The area, easily accessible from the Broadview subway station, can be very noisy due to its proximity to the highway. It is surprisingly scenic, with views of bridges and many open green patches. Views, like the one from Chesterhill, are especially note-worthy, and beaten dirt paths provide the opportunity for adventures off the trail. The valley isn’t so much an escape from the city as it is a mix between inner-city civilization and rural greenery — no matter how loudl you blast your headphones or try to get in touch with nature, you’ll get constant reminders, such as car honks and whiffs of cigarette smoke, that you are still in Toronto.