As part of the festivities for Pride 2013, the Gladstone Hotel simultaneously hosted two gallery receptions. The annual ‘That’s So Gay’ art exhibition was spread across the third and fourth floor galleries, while the ‘10×10 Photography Project’ took over the second floor. Both the artists and their subjects were present on the night of the reception, encouraging an interactive atmosphere while explaining the concepts behind their works. 

That’s So Gay 

The Gladstone’s website describes ‘That’s So Gay’ as an exhibit focused on exploring ideas of identity from a transgendered and racial perspective in both the queer community and society in general. This year’s theme, ‘Say It To My Face,’ encouraged unhindered expression against the harsh reality of LGBTQ oppression. The artists expressed their personal battles and subsequent empowerment, rooted in their desire to express individuality. Curator Elisha Lim picked works from locations such as New York, Paris, and Melbourne, and also included local Canadian exploration of the history of sex work and slavery.

Meera Sethi displayed a series that created synergy between North American street wear and traditional Indian clothing, making the subject equally at home in New York and New Delhi. On a more inquisitive note, TextaQueen questioned ascribed identities such as gender, religion, and nationality in her felt-tip self-portrait.

10×10 Photography Project

The ‘10×10 Photography Project’ was a celebration of queer people in the workforce who have made immense contributions to the arts. The 10 artists each photographed 10 of the 100 subjects in the project, resulting in an explosion of both creativity and appreciation. The event was well attended, and with passionate embraces between artists, their subjects, and friends, there was a warm and friendly atmosphere in the gallery. Some collections were given individual rooms, which, together with the artwork, helped create and maintain an aura related to the theme of the artwork. Adam Moco, for example, had a peaceful and serene room of monochromatic images of subjects’ faces in large lockets, the eyes of these faces shut.

Photographers Stev’nn Hall and Belle Ancell used the platform to convey complex serious internal struggles through their subjects. Anthony Manieri and R. Jeanette Martin, also photographers, illustrated the individual occupations and passions of their subjects respectively. Bruno Billio, the Gladstone’s own internationally renowned resident artist, was once again involved. Billio contributed photographs taken in his own room at the Gladstone, reminiscent of the ‘Come Up to My Room’ alternative design event, to which he is also a major contributor.

By: Ross Dias