The Ontario government recently announced a plan to provide university and living expenses to former Crown wards. The policy, according to a June 25 press release by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities, will fund up to $6000 per year in tuition fees and provide $500 per month in living expenses for former wards and youth in and leaving care aged 21 to 24, starting in September. While the funds would not cover living expenses or tuition at U of T, the program is being praised by many Crown ward advocates; particularly since the province has traditionally ceased all support for wards once they reach 21 years of age.  

Crown wards face adverse outcomes compared to their peers in a variety of contexts. Only 44 per cent of wards graduate high school, as opposed to 82 per cent of the population at large.

The funding announcement follows a pilot project last year, which provided similar benefits to more than 200 former wards. Tuition costs are split between the province and 29 participating institutions, including the University of Toronto. The program is expected to assist approximately 850 students.

This program was put into place, along with other improvements, in support of wards aging out of the support system. YouthCAN program coordinator Vera Williams, herself a former Crown ward, notes that these policy changes were developed through consultations with the Youth Leaving Care Working Group, which held hearings in 2012. She further explains that the process took approximately six months  and included discussions between wards and members of the legislature — all designed “to institute fundamental changes in children’s welfare system.” Courtney Battistone of the Ministry of Children and Youth Services notes that the post-secondary funding program fits into the context of a larger menu of policies intended to expand support for current and former wards.

While the proposal has been generally lauded, some say it does not go far enough. In terms of payment, Battistone explains that, “Students who apply for OSAP will automatically be considered for [the Living and Learning] grant.” The grant provides the equivalent of $500 per month of study, usually “as a lump sum of up to $2,000 for each term of study…to a maximum of $6,000 for the school year.”

A breakdown of the costs of living in Toronto, provided by U of T Housing Services, suggests that near the St. George Campus the average cost of renting a room alone is $600 per month, based on the U of T housing registry. U of T’s director of media relations Laurie Stephens noted that it was possible to find cheaper rent, however, she cautioned that some rooming houses might not be legal as they do not provide access to a full kitchen or are overcrowded.

These estimates also sometimes fail to account for hidden costs in renting. For instance, many landlords require first and last month’s rent to be paid at the beginning of tenancy. Furthermore, as Stephens explains, “students should be aware that places that are rented for a set price ‘plus utilities’ should budget at least 10 per cent of the rent for utilities (i.e. heat, hydro, water)” and for new customers, “some utilities require a hefty upfront deposit, e.g. $200-500 for gas/hydro.”

Monthly costs above and beyond rent vary, including those for food. However, since $500 is likely insufficient to cover rent, students will need other sources of funding. 

Other cities are less expensive, but not markedly so — Carleton University’s website suggests a total budget of around $1000 per month for off-campus living in a one-bedroom apartment, whereas Queen’s website suggests a minimum of approximately  $800 per month.

Tuition for most four-year undergraduate programs in Ontario is approximately $5500 per year, however, this estimate does not include an estimated $1000 for textbook costs,  mandatory student fees — which are often in excess of $1000 — nor any additional student fees which may be applicable. While tuition varies with program of study for U of T undergraduates, almost all will pay in excess of $7000 in 2013-2014.

Battistone and Williams both note that there are additional sources of funding available to Crown ward students that are intended to fill the funding gaps. First, wards will continue to be eligible for OSAP. Second, wards will also be eligible for the recently-introduced 30 per cent reduction in tuition fees. Finally, individual schools offer scholarships and bursaries for which ward students are eligible. Williams, a former student at U of T, recalls her own experiences as a ward going through university: “U of T also has grants and bursaries, to ease the burden. As a former ward, that was helpful.”

Still, Williams agrees that even with the new programs, paying for post-secondary education will not necessarily be easy for former wards, saying that debt load and the ability to save all make a difference: “Some people struggle less or more,” she said, “But this program puts school in reach where it wasn’t an option before.”

Related programs will offer non-monetary support to former wards to facilitate their transition to university. “Youth leaving care may also be eligible to receive supports through the Youth-in-Transition Worker program,” Battistone explains. The program, which is currently being developed, would support youth as they transition from Children’s Aid Society care by providing information and support with housing, education, employment, and other general life skills. At U of T, Williams recalls that the emotional counselling that was available in addition to the grants and bursaries, made things much easier.