The Varsity Blues’ athletics department has both refashioned the coaching staff for the men’s football and basketball teams and added new, integral players to the women’s track and field rosters for the upcoming 2013-2014 season.

Greg Knox, the newly appointed defensive coordinator of the Blues’ football team, has a sensational background, having won the Vanier Cup twice ­­­­— once as a player, and once as a coach — as well as two Grey Cup championships with the Calgary Stampeders as a captain and player. In 1994, Knox was also named a Canadian Football League all-star and was a nominee for the Tom Pate “Man of the Year Award.” For the past six seasons, Knox held the position of defensive coordinator at McMaster University. Fans will see more synchronization and play-making recognition through reinforced dominance on the defensive line with Knox as a coach.

NANCY JI/THE VARSITY

In addition to the new defensive coordinator, Rob Underhill will join the Blues’ football squad as a defensive backs coach for the 2013-2014 season. This past season, Underhill worked as the head coach of the Hamilton Hurricanes. He has coached the Hamilton Ironmen for the past 12 years, and also has experience as an assistant coach at McMaster University. Underhill’s expertise will augment implementation of defensive backs in formations, resulting in easier recognition of offensive actions and increased measures to thwart offensive gains. Underhill will reinforce the discipline and defensive schemes supervised by Knox.

John Campbell has been named the new head coach of the men’s basketball team for the season, after an 11-season tenure with the Dalhousie Tigers. Campbell’s experience also includes serving as the head coach of Laurentian University’s women’s basketball team, which has won two Ontario University Athletics titles. In addition to his regional coaching ability, Campbell’s experience on the international basketball scene includes working as the assistant coach of Great Britain’s U20 team in 2012, and as assistant coach for Team Canada’s basketball team during this summer’s Universiade in Kazan.

Dalhousie’s director of varsity athletics, Karen Moore, maintains that Campbell’s skill includes “fixing basketball programs,” which is what the Blues need after last year’s season. Campbell’s expertise also extends to promoting team chemistry and creating a framework with which team members can accomplish momentous results — such as the Tigers-top contender finish in their conference last season.

Varsity Blues football recruit Danny Sprukulis, an offensive lineman, is set to be a tremendous addition to the Blues’ football roster for the upcoming seasons. Sprukulis, an example of head coach Greg Gary’s cultivation of Ontario recruits, will help to control the line of scrimmage — giving a much needed boost to the team’s ongoing battle for a long-overdue successful season. Sprukulis started at both left tackle and defensive line for Holy Trinity CSS.’s senior football team and was named a member of the U18 Team Ontario West squad — where he was recognized as a 2012 Canada Cup all-star. Sprukulis was a valuable competitor for his team, capturing a bronze medal at the TD Waterhouse Stadium in London, Ontario.

Twin brothers Chris Heim and Phil Heim have confirmed their acceptance to study at U of T and have committed to play for the Blues’ football team this fall. The Heim brothers attended Richview Collegiate Institute, and are both accomplished high school basketball and football players. They hail from Etobicoke, Ontario, and are extremely valuable recruits — adding both the prowess and physical impetus needed by the program. While at U of T, Chris and Phil plan on studying political science and economics, respectively.

The already strong women’s track and field team has added four more sprinters to its roster: Alison Fraser, who finished the 2012 Ontario Federation of School Athletic Association (OFSAA) championships with a bronze medal in the 400-metre race and won the U18 title in the same race during the 2012 Legion Canadian youth championships; Maggie Hanlon, a masters student who placed first in the 100-metre, 200-metre, and 400-metre races in the B.C. Athletics Championships in 2012 and finished ninth at the Canadian senior track and field championships and Olympic Trials; Ellie Hirst, who won the 200-metre and 400-metre Alberta School’s Athletic Association (ASAA) titles in 2012 and placed sixth at the Canadian junior championships; and Victoria McIntyre, who finished fourth in the senior girls’ 200-metre at the 2012 OFSAA championships, and finished 11th in last summer`s Canadian junior national championships.