U of T has 44 varsity teams, many of which achieve high levels of success competing at the provincial and national levels. These teams have been consistently strong, and hope to continue this trend in the upcoming seasons. Many individual athletes also compete with provincial or national teams on the international stage — from the FISU Summer Universiade to the Olympics.

Mens’ and Womens’ Soccer

FILE PHOTO: BERNARDA GOSPIC

Both Blues mens’ and womens’ soccer teams are consistently strong, both lead by Blues veteran and head coach Anthony Capotosto, who is entering his seventh coaching season. He was named Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Women’s Soccer Coach of the year in his first season as head coach of the team. Blues players Mario Kovacevic and Dylan Bams played on team Canada this past summer in Kazan, Russia at the International University Sports Federation (FISU) Universiade, and Kovacevic is coming back for his final year as a Blue with hopes of leading the team to a title. Last year, the mens’ soccer team went 8–6–2, but lost 2–1 to Queen’s University in the OUA quarter-finals.

With Sarah Petrucci in net and OUA East rookie of the year LaShauna Harper on the field, last year’s womens’ soccer team completed a very successful season with a 12-4-2 record. However, like the men’s team, the women were defeated 3–1 by Queen’s in overtime in the OUA quarter-finals. This year, the Blues will guarantee themselves a spot in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championships because they will be hosted at Varsity Stadium from November 7–10.

Mens’ and Womens’ Swimming

Zack Chetrat. PHOTO COURTESY VARSITY BLUES

Lead by 2012–2013 Varsity Blues Male Athlete of the Year Zack Chetrat, the Varsity men’s swimming team won both the OUA and CIS championships this past year. Head coach Byron MacDonald was named the 2013 Fox 40 OUA Male Coach of the Year, after completing his 35th season as the Varsity Blues swimming head coach. He has been named the CIS mens’ and womens’ coach of the year a combined 13 times. The women’s team is lead by Vanessa Treasure, a consistent record-breaker in her events, primarily at the intramural level. This past season, the women’s team also placed second in the OUA championship and third in the CIS championship in Calgary.

Womens’ Track and Field

FILE PHOTO: SAM CEN/THE VARSITY

Led by Olympian Sarah Wells, 2012–2013 Varsity Blues Female Athlete of the Year Alicia Brown, and 2012–2013 Varsity Blues Female Rookie of the Year Khamica Bingham, the womens’ track and field team consistently dominates in the OUA and CIS championships, breaking records and taking home titles. The team’s over-40-player roster is lead by Carl Georgevski, a three-time Olympic jumps coach. To fill the spots of graduated athletes, the Blues have recruited four new competitors: Alison Fraser, Maggie Hanlon, Ellie Hirst, and Victoria McIntyre.

Baseball

MICHAEL P. HALL/VARSITY BLUES

The men’s baseball team has won the past two OUA championship titles with their static roster, not having changed much over the past two years. However, many of their integral players graduated this past June, giving an opportunity for younger players to fill their roles. Head coach Jim Sheppard is fairly new at his position, but his impact on the team has been felt — as seen by its success.