On Tuesday, September 3, thousands of frosh and their leaders attended the Toronto Argonauts` game against the Montreal Alouettes. After squandering an early 8–0 lead, the Argos fell 20–8 to Montreal.

Not only were U of T students in attendance, they were involved in the event in a number of ways from its beginning to end. To begin the night, frosh and their leaders lined the field to cheer on the Argos, and defend the Argos` logo in the middle of the field from the opponents from Montreal who surrounded the engineering frosh.

Just before the game, 12 students — eight from the faculty of music and four from Innis college —  formed a choir that sang the national anthem. “I commissioned the arrangement from a student composer a month beforehand and sent it out for singers to learn before coming in,” said fourth year music CTEP student and faculty of music co-coordinator Peter Nash. The composer was a second year composition student, Sarah Basciano.

“It was a great opportunity for our students to sing for a big event, and we hope to start a tradition of it,” said Nash.

Through the rest of the game, U of T students were selected to play games on the jumbotron, win prizes, and win seat upgrades.

The Argos appeared to be starting off strong, scoring eight points before the Alouettes got on the board. After a missed field goal by Argos kicker, Noel Prefontaine, they were up by a single point. With 5:21 left in the quarter, Zach Collaros successfully completed a 34-yard pass to John Chiles. With Prefontaine`s successful field goal, Toronto raised their lead to 8–0. However, they failed to score again after this point.

Less than four minutes into the second, Sean Whyte scored a field goal to put Montreal on the board. Later in the quarter, they added to the lead with 28-yard touchdown with a pass from Tanner Marsh to Arland Bruce, coming after Argos defender Jalil Carter was called for illegal contact on a receiver. Whyte kicked a successful field goal to follow to put Montreal ahead of the Argos 10­–8. With another field goal by the Alouettes in the third quarter, and another three-point field goal in the fourth, Montreal took a 20–8 lead and maintained it.

The Argos struggled, losing yards consistently. Starting quarterback Collaros and last year`s CFL player of the year Chad Owens fell with injuries multiple times throughout the game, having to leave the field, unable to assist their team for large periods of time.

Despite the loss, U of T frosh were introduced to one of Toronto’s most successful sports teams, and were welcomed to the city with special emphasis and programming for the large portion of new students in attendance at the game.