For its second consecutive year, Just for Laughs (JFL) is taking place in Toronto in its newer, sleeker, and debatably cooler 10-day long format: JFL42! JFL began in Montreal in 1983, and it wasn’t long before it rose in notoriety. Currently, JFL is the largest international comedy festival in the world. There’s a lot more to the festival than just those annoying prank videos that are constantly on repeat. After 30 years of hosting some of the best comedians from all over the world, JFL has branched out from its francophone roots to bring 42 of the best and brightest stars, up-and-comers, and everything in between that comedy has to offer to our fair city.

An exciting part of the festival taking place in Toronto is the inclusion of up-and-coming Canadian acts who call this city their home.  These acts include the sketch comedy stylings of Mark Little and Kyle Dooley (members of  the sketch troupe, Picnicface), Graham Chittenden (host of MTV’s Showtown), and local headliner Chris Locke. During an interview, Locke commented on his experience at JFL:

The Varsity: Do you feel like JFL42’s somehow opening doors for you, somehow?

Chris Locke:  Yeah man. [Laughs]  It’s like opening, uh, huge doors into the perception of my mind. Uh yeah, walk on in, see what you see, it’s crazy in there. Yeah, it’s enlightened me about peace, love, and happiness and how we’re all one and stuff like that.  But that door’s been opened finally.

TV: Don’t get cute with me.

CL: [Laughs] I think, yeah of course. But it’s kinda weird in Toronto. How many times you have to keep being taken seriously as a Canadian comedian. So I think it’s gonna open doors, more people are gonna see me but: Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to open doors in the same city? [Laughs] You know what mean, for it to be like, a big deal; but it’s really awesome, yeah… There’s not that many opportunities [in Toronto] so you have to work so hard to stand out just in front of other comedians… So, just how the scene makes us work hard for each other is really valuable in that regard. But in another way, it’s like, maybe the ship’s not sinking but it’s definitely like, rats all holding onto something that’s not big enough to hold them on [laughs].

While skeptical of the prospects available in Canadian show business, Locke sees JFL42 as a way of bringing Toronto’s world-class comedy scene into the international spotlight.

***

JFL42 will be using a shotgun spray approach to the festival.  For $99 you get to see one (or for $199 all) of the three festival headliners: Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreations), Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program), and a live reading of an episode of Family Guy, complete with the full cast and a live band. In addition to the headliners, pass holders get to see four of the 42 shows around the city. $69 tickets are also available for single headliners.

As for the other 42 shows, the following is a list of the top, in no particular order, must-sees acts at JFL42:

Hannibal Buress

Performing September 26 and the 27, Buress is a real rising star in the world of stand-up. Having written on both 30 Rock and Saturday Night Live his comedy is witty, absurd, and hilarious.

Kyle Kinane

Kyle Kinane is yet another hilarious comedian who is well on his way towards notoriety. He is performing September 25 and 27, Kinane is a master storyteller who manages to be both witty and low brow. His latest dvd, Whiskey Icarus, is a comedic masterpiece.

Marc Maron

Performing September 24, his podcast wtf, in which he interviews everyone from Robyn Williams to Iggy Pop, is one of the highest ranking podcasts on iTunes. Maron’s performances are unpredictable and intimate. Instead of focusing on delivering polished material, Maron creates an intimate, unique, and hilarious experience between himself and the audience. Maron performs for one night only on September 24 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre.

Maria Bamford

An absolute surrealist, Bamford takes mundane subject matter such as Starbucks’ lineups and overly enthusiastic hr employees, and uses her imaginative writing and impressive voices to melts them like Dali’s clocks. Maria Bamford will be performing September 25-28.

Jo-Anna Downey Presents

Jo-Anna Downey is a local legend in Toronto comedy. She has run Spirits, the most successful open mic in the city for 16 years. (Robyn Williams stops by Spirits whenever he is in Toronto). Downey was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s Disease, which has rendered her no longer able to perform, instead she has produced four amazing shows featuring Nicki Payne, Mike Wilmot, Rob Pue, and Darren Frost four of the best comedians in the country.

Downey is at both the Rivoli and the Drake on September 22. If you missed both dates, head over to the Drake on September 25.