It starts with a sniffle, then two, and pretty soon the Kleenex box is your best friend. As the cold weather draws nearer, so does cold and flu season. In part one of our Frequently Asked Questions series, we answer questions on getting help through the University’s Health Services and on when to go elsewhere.

NANCY JI/THE VARSITY

NANCY JI/THE VARSITY

What is Health Services at the University of Toronto and where can I find it? What services are provided?

Health Services at U of T works the same way your standard family doctor’s office works. However, it is focused specifically on student needs and care. The service is confidential and convenient. Health Services can provide everything from support to immunizations­ — including allergy care, nutrition counselling, birth control and emergency contraception, smoking cessation, and wound care. The service also covers disordered eating education and care, periodic health exams, disability documentation and more. You can find Health Services at:

St. George Campus: Second floor of the Koffler Student Services Centre: 214 College Street (in the same building as The Book Store)

Mississauga Campus: Room 1123 in the South Building: 3359 Mississauga Road

Scarborough Campus:  Room SL270 in the Student Centre: 1265 Military Trail

When should I go to Health Services? What other health resources are there on campus?

Whether it is for a check-up or to simply ask a question and acquire some information, it is always a good time to take interest in your health.

U of T is all about creating a healthy and safe campus environment, and there are many resources available to help everyone achieve a healthy and happy university experience. Whether you are searching for second opinions or just a place to get started, there is ample information available through U of T resources regarding counselling, alcohol and drugs, hiv, aids, stis, mental health, breast cancer, testicular cancer, and even body and mind skills. There is a list of other resources available on the Health Services website.

When is Health Services open? Where else can I go?

Clinic hours at the St. George Health Center are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday, Thursday, and Friday and 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Tuesday and Wednesday during the academic year, excluding statutory holidays when the clinic is closed.

We all have busy schedules and classes to attend, and illness doesn’t strike at convenient times. If you need medical assistance   during after-hours or on weekends, there are always a number of walk-in clinics and medical centres nearby:

College-Care Walk-In Clinic: 351 College St. & Spadina (416-915-9285)

Bay-College Medical and Lockwood Diagnostic Walk-in Clinic Centre: 790 Bay St. Suite 108 (416-929-1900)

Bay-Wellesley Medical Centre: 100 -984 Bay St.  (416-929-1900)

The Doctor’s Office: 595 Bay Street  (416-598-1703)

Very late at night or on Sundays, these clinics may be closed. If you are worried and wish to receive care, head to a hospital emergency room. The staff will be able to provide help or advice.

The hours for the UTM Health Services can be found here The hours for the UTSC health services can be found here

What does my student health insurance plan cover? Can I opt out? 

Being proactive about your health means knowing exactly what your insurance covers. Through Green Shield, all full-time
U of T students receive access to a health care plan, which is included in tuition. The plan covers the basics such as check-ups, eye exams, diagnostic tests, prescription drugs and hospital accommodations if needed. Some other perks of the plan include orthotics, braces, casts, and diabetic equipment. Professional services covered include visits to the acupuncturist, chiropractor, speech therapists, chiropodist, and registered massage therapists.

Although having a medical plan insures your health throughout your education, opting out is also an alternative. Opting out is possible only if you are covered under a similar plan with a different provider. You must opt out yearly. Applications must be submitted at the beginning of the academic year — in the August to October period if you start school in the fall, and the January period if you begin in the winter. The deadline for opting out for students beginning in the fall has passed, but students who begin in the winter can opt out between January 6 – 31, 2014. Opt-out forms can be found online; fill one out and a reimbursement cheque should be received by March.

To opt-out, go to www.studentplans.ca. To learn more about Green Shield insurance, visit www.greenshield.ca.