For Alicia Van Kampen, a 6’2” Physical Edudcation student and forward for the Varsity Blues’ women’s basketball team, playing basketball at U of T has had a huge impact on her life as a student athlete.

“Without basketball, I don’t think I would have made it this far in my degree. Basketball has helped me to stay motivated and stay on top of my academics. Playing varsity sports may be time-demanding, but in the end, it is all worth it.”

Van Kampen starting playing when she was young, and her family was a big factor in her development as a player.

“Around grade five, my dad put a basketball net in on the driveway,” she said. “My parents were a big part of me loving the game; without their support, I would not have been able to play at a higher level and become the player I am today.”

The skills that she learned in the driveway and on the court got her noticed by head coach Michèle Bélanger, who scouted Van Kampen in her grade 12 year. Bélanger’s coaching was ultimately the main factor in Van Kampen’s choice to come to U of T.

“She was an experienced coach and athlete, and I knew if I played for her she would help me to develop the most possible.”

Van Kampen quickly proved herself to be an exceptional athlete, starting for the team in the post position in only her second year, and continuing to grow as a player in her third year.

“My third-year on the team started off great; I was starting again and my playing time had increased… But then in my eighth game of the season, I dove for a loose ball, got nudged the wrong way, and got a season ending injury,” she explained. “I had a ruptured acl, strained mcl, and partially torn pcl. I would later get reconstructive acl surgery in March… It wouldn’t be until October of my fourth year that I would be cleared from my surgeon to play with contact.”

Van Kampen was chosen as one of the team’s captains in her fourth year, but her confidence was shaky after her injury. “It was always in the back of my head that I could reinjure my knee. It took me a while to gain [my confidence] back and I found my performance had finally gotten better as playoffs approached. I did end up achieving more as the previous years based on the stats sheet, but overall my fourth year was a disappointing season.”

Van Kampen is optimistic about her fifth and final season, despite the loss of a couple key players.

“My feelings going into our first game are good. We have all been working hard this past month and throughout the summer to improve our skills and learn how to work as a team and figure out what each of us like on the court. We have good overall team chemistry, so I know good things are going to happen this year. For the upcoming year as a team we hope to finish first in the east and… as a fifth-year athlete, my main goal is to lead the team to nationals.”

Looking back on her time at U of T, Van Kampen certainly isn’t disappointed in her choice of team, or coach.

“Michèle Bélanger has been an amazing help and support throughout my time here… My teammates year after year have been a great help. My team is like my family in Toronto. I know whenever I need something or need someone to talk to they will be there for me.”

Van Kampen hopes to keep basketball part of her life after finishing her time with the team.

“I plan to look for a small coaching job and work at basketball development camps… I hope to stay involved in basketball once I have graduated.  I hope one day to be able to coach my children’s basketball teams as they grow up.”

The women’s basketball team will play its first game of the regular season on November 1 at McMaster University.