It starts with a sniffle, then two, and pretty soon the Kleenex box is your best friend. As the cold weather draws nearer, so does cold and flu season. In part two of our Frequently Asked Questions series, we answer questions about dental care, and how to deal with missed coursework.

NANCY JI/THE VARSITY

NANCY JI/THE VARSITY

Does U of T have a dentist’s office? How do I get dental care?

The Faculty of Dentistry has a patient clinic at 101 Elm St. Dental care is provided by students from the faculty, under the supervision of qualified dentists. The clinic has a full range of services, but may not take all cases. Keep in mind that the clinic is generally busy so your treatment could take weeks or months. Call 416-979-4927 to book a screening appointment. This line is typically busy so be prepared to wait.

Alternatively, the UTSU has a list of private dentists that offer a student discount for those covered by the UTSU dental plan. For more information on dental coverage click here. It’s typically faster to go to a private practice than the Faculty of Dentistry’s Clinic.

How do I book an appointment at health services? 

Health Services at U of T offers the same services that would be expected from a family doctor. This includes periodic health exams, immunization, birth control, disability documentation, and more. Proof of health insurance — such as an OHIP or UHIP card — and a TCard are required to access Health Services.

To book an appointment, you can call 416-978-8030, book online here or visit the clinic in person at 214 College St., on the second floor of the Koffler Student Services Centre. Charges will apply for missed appointments and cancellations without prior notice.

Health Services also takes some drop-in patients every day. It is best to visit early (9–11 am) and be prepared to wait; facilities are accessible from 9 am–5 pm Monday, Thursday, and Friday, and 9 am–7 pm Tuesday and Wednesday.

What is CAPS? What do I need to do to register with CAPS?

Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides counselling and psychological services — including assessment, treatment, and referral for emotional and psychological issues — to the U of T community.

The first step to registering with CAPS is a 15–20-minute phone evaluation. To book this evaluation call 416-978-8070 or visit the facility in person on the main floor of the Koffler Student Services Centre (214 College St). A TCard and proof of health insurance are required. Open 9 am–5 pm from Monday to Friday and 9 am–7 pm on Tuesdays.

I’m really sick. How do I get excused from my academic obligations?

To be excused, you need to have a physician, surgeon, nurse practitioner, registered psychologist, dentist, or other health professional — which can include a clinician from one of U of T’s health clinics — fill out a form called Verification of Student Illness or Injury. This form is available online here. It must be filled out while you are ill, or else it will not be accepted. Some health professionals may charge extra to fill out the form.

Typically, professors will require the form to be submitted as soon as possible. It’s a good idea to email your professor if you know you will miss a test or assignment.

What is Accessibility Services? Who is eligible to register for Accessibility Services?

Accessibility Services is intended for students who have issues such as ADHD, mobility issues, learning disabilities, hearing problems, etc. The organization provides accommodations for exams, access to funding for disability support, etc. To register, medical documentation of a disability and a TCard are required. Services are completely confidential. It’s best to register as early as possible in the academic year.

You can fill out an Accessibility Services registration package — regardless of whether or not you are sure that you have a qualifying disability —  at one of two Accessibility Services offices, on the first floor of Robarts Library or at 215 Huron St, Suite 939. Packages are also available through email at [email protected] or by phone at 416-978-8060/416-978-7677