The Varsity Blues women’s hockey team hosted the Waterloo Warriors Saturday afternoon as part of a double-header at Varsity Arena, and convincingly defeated them.

Although the game would end up being a comfortable win for the home side, it didn’t initially appear that that would be the case. Despite carrying the bulk of the play early on, the Blues only managed to fire six shots on Waterloo netminder Rebecca Bouwhuis in the first period, and relied heavily upon star goaltender Nicole Kesteris on several early penalty kills. After the game, Blues forward Kristi Riseley acknowledged that the first period was frustrating, but felt that the team responded well during the second period.

FILE PHOTO: VIVEK SRIKANATHAN/THE VARSITY

A stellar individual effort by Blues forward Sonja Weidenfelder ended the deadlock early in the second period. Weidenfelder, who was excellent throughout the game, stole the puck from a Waterloo defender in the slot, faked a shot, and then  backhanded a shot under the crossbar for the go-ahead goal. The goal would prove to be the eventual game-winner.

Just over three minutes later, Weidenfelder scored again, this time off a Taylor Day rebound in close. After Day just narrowly missed putting a shot past Bouwhuis herself, the Blues scored again. Nearing the end of a great shift, Riseley found herself alone in front of the Waterloo goal, corralled an Arden Cowley feed, and fired a shot just over the Waterloo goaltender’s pad. It was Riseley’s first goal in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), and one that was wholly deserved. In her second season with the Blues, Riseley has garnered much respect from fans for her hard work and shot-blocking, and it was great to see her put one on the board.

The Riseley marker forced a Waterloo goaltender change, with sophomore Allie Mitchell taking over just past the halfway point of the game. It proved to be of little effect, however, as Blues defender-turned-forward April Looije converted on a rebound beside the goal less than two minutes later to give the Blues a commanding 4-0 lead.

The remainder of the game saw the Blues play smart, disciplined hockey against an increasingly frustrated opponent, with Kesteris rising to the challenge when called upon. It was a characteristic victory for the Blues; they outplayed their opponent and benefited from some of the best goaltending in cis.