For many University of Toronto students, the holidays are viewed as a break from school; it’s a period for rest and relaxation, spending time with family and friends, and, perhaps, a vacation to a sunny location. Best of all, it is a time when we are free from the commitments and stress of school. For many Varsity Blues athletes, however, their commitments to their respective teams, and the Varsity Blues community at large, have them playing in important games and tournaments, and participating in training camps over the holidays while their non-athlete peers relax at home.

The holidays are often filled with big games for many teams, and this year is no different.

The men’s hockey team will travel to Ottawa on December 29 to take on the Carleton Ravens in their home arena. This will be followed by two games against the Lakehead Thunderwolves on January 3 and 4. The Thunderwolves are currently sitting in first place in the Ontario University Athletics (oua) West with 10 wins and 3 losses, but the Varsity Blues, currently in third place, only have one more loss than Lakehead and could take advantage of the doubleheader to advance in the standings.

The badminton team will be participating in the badminton marathon on December 22 at home in the Athletic Centre. The annual event typically hosts over 70 players aged 12–60 from various clubs. Last year, the event raised $4,000 for the program.

Another big day for the Blues comes on January 5, when the women’s basketball team will face cross-town rival Ryerson in a doubleheader. Although the Blues, who currently have a 1–6 record, are reeling, the doubleheader will give them a chance to improve their record against the 3–5 Ryerson Rams team.

Many Varsity Blues athletes won’t have to worry about planning a holiday vacation, as their teams take them all over the country for tournaments, games, and training camps.

The women’s volleyball team will be making a long trip to Edmonton where they will partake in the University of Alberta New Year’s Classic, an exhibition tournament which features some of the best teams in the country. The Blues are currently 8–2 and third in their division.

One team that is participating in a training camp away from home is the track and field team, who is leaving to the img Academy in Bradenton, Florida on December 27 where they will participate in a final, focused, hard week of training before the start of their competitive season.

Apart from enjoying the heat of the sunshine state while their peers endure sub-zero temperatures, another reason for taking the team so far to train is to take advantage of the full, 400 meter outdoor track.

“A main reason we head south is to get onto a full-sized 400 meter outdoor track, which is more forgiving on overuse injuries than the tight corners of a 200–meter indoor track,” explained track athlete Rachel Jewett.

That said, there are more advantages to the training camp besides the heat and the outdoor track.

“Another huge part of training camp is getting the team together mentally and physically for an extended period of time as a bonding experience,” continued Jewett. “We train together, live together, cook together, and truly become a team at this camp.”

Around this time of year, many teams get into the holiday spirit by hosting charity events, or organizing group volunteering sessions.

For example, on November 30 Varsity Blues athletes hosted their Holiday Toy Toss, where fans brought toys to toss onto the ice between periods at both the men’s and women’s games. All toys were donated to the cp24 chum Christmas Wish.

All in all, the holidays provide the perfect time for teams to train and endure heavy workouts and team-bonding activities that will build a stronger team, and play in some big games along the way. These opportunities allow the Blues to come back to school as stronger athletes and more cohesive teams in the second semester.