Here’s a look at the Varsity Blues teams to watch out for this weekend:

Men’s hockey

Thursday night the men’s hockey team travel to Waterloo to face off against the Laurier Golden Hawks hoping to break their five-game losing streak. The Golden Hawks currently have a record of 5–10 while the Blues are sitting at .500 with a 9–9 record. On Sunday, the Blues will return to home ice to play the Windsor Lancers at 2 pm at Varsity Arena. The Lancers are 11–5 so far this season.

Women’s hockey

The women’s hockey team will play their first games since December 1 this weekend against  Toronto rivals York and Ryerson. The team is on a four-game winning streak, outshooting their opponents 14–6 over that stretch, and have 11 wins and four losses this season. The Blues beat the Ryerson Rams 5–0 in their first regular season game of the season, with the York Lions going down 5–2 on November 22.

Men’s track and field

On Friday and Saturday, the men’s track team will be competing at the Can-Am Meet in Windsor. This past weekend, the team competed at the Sharon Anderson meet at the Athletic Centre, but both the men’s and women’s teams disappointed Blues fans as they were unable to win any of the day’s events against other university teams and Toronto track clubs.

Women’s basketball

On Friday, the women’s basketball team will take on York, and on Saturday they  face Queen’s. This past weekend, the team beat  Toronto rivals Ryerson 58–54 in front of home fans. Rachael Sider earned the title of Varsity Blues’ Female Athlete of the Week and the OUA’s Female Athlete of the Week after scoring 20 points and 10 rebounds in the game. York is sitting low in the standings with a 1–9 record while Queen’s is currently in first place at 7–3 . U of T is in the middle of the standings at 3–6, just one win below Ryerson.

Men’s basketball

After an exciting weekend, the Blues men’s basketball team tips off against York and Queen’s this weekend. Fifth-year American studies student Alex Hill broke the U of T all-time scoring record after scoring 22 points against Ryerson in a loss on Sunday; Hill now has 1,291 total points as a Blue, edging out the previous record set by Dave West in the 1960s (1,269 points). York and Queen’s are currently tied for fifth place in the OUA East division while the Blues are sitting in last place with a 2–7 record.

Also competing this weekend

Men’s and women’s wrestling at the Brock Open on Saturday, January 11.

Men’s and women’s volleyball at Nipissing on Saturday, January 11, and against York on Sunday, January 12.

Men’s swimming against McMaster at the Varsity Pool on Sunday, January 12.