The Toronto Beekeepers Co-operative (TBCo-op), born of a joint effort between FoodShare Toronto, AfriCan Foodbasket, the University of Guelph, and the Heifer International Foundation, is holding an ‘Urban Beekeeping 101’ workshop for the public on Saturday, February 1, from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. The workshop will take place at FoodShare (90 Croatia St.), and will provide a wealth and variety of apiary knowledge — including information on beekeeping basics, hive maintenance, and apitherapy. It will even allow attendees to get hands-on with the co-operative’s hives and equipment. The co-op will also allow individuals to apply for a limited number of membership spots to help it manage its hives in 2014.

ANN SHENG/THE VARSITY

ANN SHENG/THE VARSITY

While the concrete labyrinth of Toronto may not seem a likely place to find thriving agriculture, the city is proving to be a very favourable environment for urban beekeeping — the science and art of managing bee hives and bees in an urban setting. TBCo-op is at the forefront of apiculture in the city, and champions the role of bees and knowledgeable bee husbandry. Far from being a niche environmentalist interest, apiculture is integral to a prosperous agriculture and economy.

According to a 2012 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada report, “In 2010, the total value of honey produced in Canada was $146 million.” More importantly, the report states that “the value of honey bees to the pollination of crops is estimated at over $2 billion annually,” with vital commodities such as fruits, vegetables, and canola depending on a strong bee population and on beekeepers proficient in keeping their colonies thriving. Given that our city has been grappling with questions of sustainable and local food production to enable its residents — especially those made vulnerable by poverty — access to healthy food, the economic value of bees cannot be underestimated by Torontonians.

To that end, TBCo-op — operating independently since 2002 — harnesses the power of collaboration. Starting from just three hives at the intersection of the Gardiner and the Don Valley Parkway, the co-operative now has links with well-known sites such as Evergreen Brickworks, Downsview Park, and the Toronto Botanical Garden through which the majority if its growing number of hives is distributed.

But apiculture is not just serious business; a surprising partnership with the Fairmont Royal York has produced a thriving rooftop apiary managed by TBCo-op members. You may not guess such a small agricultural oasis could even exist as you stroll down Front Street, but it has inspired the Fairmont chain to begin similar beekeeping programs at its hotels as far away as Kenya and China. As well, Fairmont honey proudly took first place in the Amber Category at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in 2012.

So if you are passionate about urban food sustainability, and if you like your cup of tea with some honey in it, you are encouraged to check out the Toronto Beekeepers Co-operative “Beekeeping 101” workshop this February. As this popular event sold out quickly last year, those interested should RSVP promptly, and note that the attendance price is $45, which includes a vegetarian lunch. The co-op may provide scholarships where finances are limited.

With files from torontobees.ca, agr.gc.ca, and fairmont.com