With the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Championships just around the corner, the Varsity Blues men’s and women’s squash teams have been putting in extra efforts in the hopes of re-mounting the OUA podium. The men’s team currently holds a record of 8–4, while the women’s team only has one loss this season.

Captain Wilfred Ip has been with the men’s team for six years. He is anticipating a difficult competition against some very strong teams. But this challenge hasn’t shaken Ip’s faith in the strength, skill, and strategy of the Blues.

“There is probably no worse scenario than when you lose the first two sets in a best of five sets match and your opponent reaches match point in the third set,” said Ip.

“We try to approach every point equally, work one point at a time and never give up.” Ip hopes that this sensible approach will allow the team to easily turn such a dubious situation into victory for the Blues.

Men’s team member Riyan Bhatia made no hesitation when asked about his expectations for the OUA Championships. He believes that a podium finish is well within reach. After not playing for three years due to a knee injury, Bhatia expressed gratitude for the team, crediting them for “[bringing] my game back.”

The Blues underwent a great deal of change and progress over the past few seasons. Team manager Kaustav Chatterjee has been with the men’s team for the past six years and has proudly witnessed improvement.

“We are really building something great here. Recruitment has improved…We are continually improving our presence in the US, forging great relationships with many top schools,” said Chatterjee, explaining that these connections could help to increase the team’s notoriety.

Head coach John Lennard foresees several victories for his team in the upcoming OUA matches. He predicts that Harvard will be the toughest team, but noted that, “the sooner you know the strength of the competition the greater awareness of what it takes to get to that level.”

The Blues women’s team has also enjoyed a successful season thus far, winning the Black Knight title this past October. Team captain Jessica Omand was introduced to squash at the age of six, and has been involved with the Blues for the past three years.

“The Black Knight tournament involves putting nine players on the roster, which allows us to demonstrate our strength and depth,” explained Omand on the team’s latest victory. According to Omand, the Blues’ victory at the OUAs seems well within reach for the team: “with three amazing new rookie recruits and a number of strong returning players, our 2013–2014 team is incredible.”

Omand has maintained her ranking in the top six OUA squash players since becoming a Blue. “I am proud to be the captain of the 2013–2014 team and look forward to showcasing our strength at OUAs,” she said.

Despite the time commitment, the team members cite their involvement as one of the most valuable components of their university careers. Both captains express high hopes of defeating the 30-year reigning champion men’s team — the Western Mustangs — at the OUA championships. Both the men’s and women’s teams appear to be in great hands, and it looks as though they’re well on their way to the podium next month.