The University of Toronto’s multipurpose Varsity Arena was built in 1926, and has since become an integral part of our campus and community. In addition to being the home of U of T’s intramural hockey league, the arena has hosted concerts, all-star basketball games, clothing sales, and international sporting events. It is also used for recreational and instructional classes, children’s programs, and high–performance athletic training. Before the exam center was built, it was also used to host many Arts & Science exams.

Six full-time staff and 14 part-time casual staff work at the arena. Together, these individuals work with three assistant managers and one facility manger to maintain the efficient operation of the arena. Key to this efficiency is cleanliness. According to Douglas Graham, one of the assistant facility managers: “Cleanliness is next to godliness for the Varsity Arena.”

To reach this level of godliness, the stadium has a team of building engineers who liaise in regards to ice temperatures and stadium conditions. The ice must be maintained daily, and prior to intercollegiate games, maintenance becomes especially taxing. The ice must be scraped and edged; the arena and stands, cleaned; and the high traffic areas disinfected. These intercollegiate and intramural events put more demand on the staff at the arena, which in turn, increases the number of part-time casual staff.

The arena is able to plan ahead for these high–demand events by staying organized through its efficient system of booking and schedulling. It starts with the intercollegiate and intramural managers, who assemble a list of available dates to provide to external groups. Bookings are schedulled on a first–come, first–served basis, and requests are relayed to the facility manager through the administrative assistant.

The arena, however, is here to serve U of T students first and foremost. It is fully accessible, and provides a discount and priority for registered student groups for rental spaces. U of T students use the arena most frequently, primarily for intramural competitions. On available time, other groups are hosted as well.