The nature of wrestling has undergone a significant transformation following the issue of the sport’s future in the Olympics. Since then, Varsity Blues wrestling team members have had to adjust to a much more active and aggressive approach. All seem to welcome the stricter policies toward passivity that have been reintegrated at the competitive level.

Head coach Mike Quinsey has been involved with the sport since 1971. He believes all of the wrestlers this season exemplify dedication and commitment. Though this team is relatively small in comparison to past years, this has certainly not placed them at a disadvantage.

“The goal I set out for the team this year is to raise the level of quality, rather than trying to field as many wrestlers as wanted to wrestle,” noted Quinsey.

Regarding the changing nature of the sport, Quinsey said: “The rules of the game have been changed back to the way they were when I was competing.

“The emphasis is back to aggressive physical domination of your opponent,” he continued. “It makes for a more dynamic contes and all the matches are way more entertaining.”

Brandon Rynka has been enjoying his first year wrestling at a competitive level. Rynka was on the Varsity Blues football team in 2011 and 2012, and has done grappling and jiu jitsu training in the past. He expressed gratitude for Quinsey’s support over the past four months, noting that: “He tells it like it is and has given me, a rookie wrestler, skills to compete against wrestlers with years and years of experience.”

“University wrestling is much different than any other university sport,” said Rynka, who hopes to continue to improve with the experience of each competition.

Team member Jordan Raghunandan has been involved with wrestling for the past five years.

When discussing obstacles on his journey so far, Raghunandan said: “Moving up weight classes has been a bit of a challenge for me; many people get disheartened when they lose matches.”

He says that he continues to welcome the difficulties, noting that: “This last year has been a real eye–opener how much I have to work on.”