Offering activities such as soccer, baseball, tennis, squash, MMA, archery, and dance, the UTSC Athletics and Recreation Centre has something for everyone. The center opens its doors for UTSC students and staff to explore new sports and clubs while getting involved in their community, meeting new people, and enjoying their physical activity.

With the amount of programs growing each year to accommodate the growing student body, the effort that is put into running the venue is crucial. Even though the student body is always in and around the facility, the staff constantly works to keep the facility operating smoothly.

Scott McRoberts, the director of athletics and recreation explained the importance of his staff: “Each member of my team comes into work every day thinking of new ways to push the envelope. This centre runs so well because we are constantly thinking, not how to make sure things operate, but how do we make changes.” The centre is always looking to improve and grow the participation of the students, by listening to what the students want and broadening horizons for them.

“Who says that a university student that didn’t have the opportunity to join a sports team, or learn how to dance or skate in high school can’t learn now? We are always trying to engage as many students as possible,” said McRoberts.

McRoberts explained that the centre works with all of the programs and departments within the university to continue to grow in order to meet and accommodate the needs of the students, faculty, and community members. With programs such as MoveU, Learn to Play, First Year Fit, PACE, and interhouse teams, the centre has created an environment where students from all backgrounds can come and learn for the first time how to play a sport, play competitively on a team, or just stop by and play a good game with their friends.

While the centre currently works well to accommodate its growing number of members, anticipation for the new Athletic and Aquatics Center is building within the UTSC community. The facility will open for use in the fall of 2014. During the summer of 2015 it will be closed to its members as it will be used for the 2015 Pan Am/ Parapan Am Games. This new facility will include two Olympic-size swimming pools, an Olympic diving tank, a rock climbing wall, a running track, cardio and fitness studios, as well as four FIBA-sized basketball courts that can double as volleyball, badminton, and soccer playing areas.

With this new facility in place, the UTSC Athletic Centre will be able to grow current programs and accommodate new ones. For instance, the Dragon Boat Team will have access to train in the pools, and a new group has been formed in response to expanded features because of the center: the rock climbing club.

This new facility will be open to students, faculty, and community surrounding the university after the Games. “The center has a tremendous opportunity to allow those in the community to have access to a facility that is safe and accessible, and it is important to integrate the outside community with the university community as both sides can benefit,” says McRoberts.

With sheer size of this facility, McRoberts and his team are able to plan out a schedule that accommodates every active member of the community. There will be programs organized especially for students, women, and outside community members, as well as rental slots for outside groups.

The athletic centre will enable UTSC to actualize their mission to “striving to create a respectful and inclusive environment that promotes opportunity and overall well-being.” The facility will bring opportunities to student at UTSC due to its ability to host major international events, such as volunteer and job opportunities during the Pan Am Games.

For students looking to explore new interests while staying fit and healthy, the Athletic Centre at UTSC is open seven days a week and available to all U of T students.