The Varsity Blues women’s hockey team had a stellar 2013-14 campaign. After posting an 18–5–1 record in the regular season, the Blues won their first Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoff series since 2008, before losing a close semi-final to the second-ranked Laurier Golden Hawks. Though five Blues are graduating, the team has tremendous depth at all positions, and it is not unrealistic to assume that they will again contend for the OUA title in 2014–2015.

Up front, the biggest loss is captain Kelly O’Hanlon, who led the team in regular season points with 21 in 24 games and has been a mainstay on the first line for the past several years. Thankfully, aside from O’Hanlon, whose offensive prowess and leadership cannot be overstated, the forward core remains largely intact. First-line sniper Taylor Day and her linemate Sonja Weidenfelder will be back, as will the second line of Alie Brind’Amour-McClure, her sister Courtney, and veteran Amanda Ricker.

The Brind’Amour-McClure line was a revelation this season, particularly in the playoffs. In the post-season, the Brind’Amour-McClure sisters combined for 14 points in the Blues’ six games, while Ricker scored a huge goal in the deciding third game of U of T’s first round matchup against the Western Mustangs.

Energy third liners Kristi Riseley and Jacqueline Scheffel, enter into their third and fourth seasons, respectively, will also be back, but their linemate Ragan Danford will not. The departures of O’Hanlon and Danford leave the door open for fourth-liners Katherine Gale, Arden Cowley, and Alessandra Bianchi to potentially move up the depth chart.

On defence, the Blues will miss assistant captains Stacey Oue and Marlie McLaughlin. Oue in particular played crucial defensive minutes in the playoffs for the Blues. Despite these losses, U of T should be able to compensate, with veterans Caitlin Maikawa and April Looije, rookie standout Rebecca Bourgeois, fellow rookie Autumn Garnham, and senior Mary Claire Geneau all returning.

In goal, there is no concern, with star goaltender Nicole Kesteris returning for a fifth year. Kesteris had a stellar season, leading the OUA with a .948 save percentage and being named a first-team all-star for her efforts. She is very fast, her rebound control is unrivalled, and she gives her team a chance to win every game.

With Kesteris in goal again next year, and with a large core of returning players, it seems fair to assume that the Varsity Blues will be serious contenders for the OUA crown. The 2014-2015 season may, however, be a do-or-die season for the team. With Kesteris entering into her final year of Canadian Interuniversity Sport eligibility, the Blues might not have as good a chance at putting another banner in the Varsity Arena rafters for quite some time.