With the snow melted and the sun shining, there is no better time than now to begin discovering and embracing the healthiest version of yourself. Whether you want to amp up your current fitness regimen or get it started anew, there are all sorts of ways to stay fit this summer.

Embrace the outdoors
Summer-like temperatures are already upon us, which allows you to take your typical gym routine out into the open. This will allow you to work out in new scenery, fresh air, and on more challenging terrain. Running or other workouts during the early morning hours are ideal as mornings are typically the coolest and most calm time of the day. This kind of environment will benefit both your body and mind, as it will allow you to focus on your activity of choice and to be at peace with nature.

Get together with friends
A fun way to stay fit is to do it in groups. Support from others and supporting others is the perfect recipe for fitness success. Grab your buddies and register as a team for the beach volleyball at Ashbridges Bay, go hiking through one of Toronto’s numerous trails, or play road hockey, soccer, football, or ultimate frisbee.

Try something new
Although consistency is a key component to staying fit, changing up your routine is just as important. Challenging yourself will also bring excitement to your fitness routine. A CrossFit gym is a great way to add dynamic and difficulty to your regimen, and the nature of this kind of gym will definitely keep you motivated. If CrossFit is not your forte, challenge yourself in other ways by enrolling in a spin class or a fitness boot camp.

Events and races
Toronto has a wide range of outdoor events and races occurring throughout the summer. Sign up for a charity walk or run like Walk Now for Autism Speaks Canada scheduled for June 8. Not only will you be exercising to benefit your own health, but also for a good cause. If you are looking to get a little messy and to really put your body to work, sign up for an obstacle course like the Tough Mudder, which is scheduled for August 16 and August 17. This event will test your endurance, your speed, your strength, and your ability to work with others.

Take advantage of technology
If you’re a fan of smartphone apps, try searching for fitness apps that you can use anytime, anywhere. A place to start is the Nike Training Club app, which consists of workouts identical to those done by the world’s best athletes, targeting everything from cardio to strength training.